David G. J. Fontana FBPsS (1934 – 18 October 2010) was a British academic, psychologist and author. He was Professor of Psychology at the Cardiff University. He was also visiting professor at John Moores University and the University of the Algarve.
Born in Middlesex, Fontana was a Fellow of the British Psychological Society, a Chartered Psychologist and a Chartered Counselling Psychologist. He published more than 45 books, including popular treatments of dreams and symbols. Fontana took an interest in paranormal research such as mediumship, poltergeist cases and Electronic voice phenomena and was at one time president of the Society for Psychical Research, from 1995 to 1998.
Fontana, together with Ingrid Slack and Martin Treacy in 1996, established a Transpersonal Psychology Section within the British Psychological Society, adding academic credibility to this school of thought at the fringe of academic psychology. Fontana attended the annual conferences of the Transpersonal Section of the British Psychological Society, which, for the first two years, were in Birmingham, and from 1999 onwards, generally took place at Cloughton, near Scarborough, North Yorkshire.
He served as the first president of the British Psychological Society's Transpersonal Section, a post he held from 1996 to 2001. His primary academic affiliation was at Cardiff University, where he was Distinguished Visiting Fellow. He wrote on such topics as education, Buddhism, meditation and mindfulness, dreams, symbols, the psychology of religion, Christianity and survival.
- The Meditator's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Eastern and Western Meditation Techniques (1992)
- Meditation: An Introductory Guide to Relaxation for Mind and Body (1999)
- Discover Zen: A Practical Guide to Personal Serenity (2001)
- Learn to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Self-Discovery and Fulfillment
- The Secret Language of Symbols: A Visual Key to Symbols and Their Meanings (2003)
- Psychology, Religion and Spirituality (2003)
- Learn to Dream: Interpret Dream Symbolism, Enhance Inner Life, Remember Your Dreams (2004)
- Is There An Afterlife?: A Comprehensive Overview of the Evidence (2005)
- Life Beyond Death: What Should We Expect? (2009)
- Creative Meditation & Visualization (2007)
- 1000 Dreams: Discover the meanings of dream symbols , secrets & stories (2011)
- Profile of David Fontana at the Insititute of Noetic Sciences
- An Interview with Psychical Researcher Dr. David Fontana
- HarperCollins Author Profile of David Fontana
- Fontana, David, Slack, Ingrid & Treacy, Martin, eds. (2005) Transpersonal Psychology: Meaning and Developments. Transpersonal Psychology Review Special Issue. Leicester: British Psychological Society.
- The Psychologist Vol 15 No 8 August 2002
- News - David Fontana profile
- Slack, Ingrid, (2011), "David Fontana (1934 - 2010)", The Psychologist, Vol 24, No 1, January 2011
- Maggie Hamilton, David Fontana on Life's Sacred Dimensions
- Researcher David Fontana departs for next world, Roy Stemman's Paranormal Review. The Diary of A Sceptical Believer (21 October 2010)