|This section requires expansion with: early life before career. (January 2011)|
May 24, 1981 |
David Fray (born May 24, 1981) is a French classical pianist. Voted "Newcomer of the Year 2008" by the BBC Music Magazine, Fray has gained attention for his musical interpretation as well as his eccentricities in performance and rehearsal, which were highlighted in the 2008 ARTE documentary about him titled "Swing, Sing and Think".
Fray entered the classical music world after receiving the Second Grand Prize at the Montreal International Music Competition in 2004. After this acclaim he released "Schubert, Liszt", a CD compilation of works by the two composers, on the ATMA Classique label. More recently, he has done video recordings of piano concertos by J.S. Bach with the Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen, as well as Schubert's Wanderer Fantasy during the Festival of La Roque d'Anthérnon. In 2008 he released a second CD, "Bach / Boulez Piano Recital", which was another compilation of two composers from separate musical periods. He has performed with many established conductors such as John Axelrod, Kurt Masur, Jaap van Zweden and Christoph Eschenbach.
Fray has won a number of awards, including the "Révélation Classique" (Classical Discovery) from ADAMI, the "Jeune Soliste de l'Année" (Young Soloist of the Year) from the French Language Public Radio Coalition, and the Diploma for Outstanding Merit from the Hamamatsu Competition.
Fray's love of Bach and his playful, idiosyncratic appearance in the ARTE documentary, in which he excitedly bobs his eyebrows, bends low over the piano, hums along with the orchestra, and jokes with his fellow musicians, have caused him to be compared with pianist Glenn Gould. However, Fray's style is radically different from Gould's—it is fluid and overtly romantic where Gould's was sharply articulate. Fray has said that he is "not such a fan of Glenn Gould" and that pianist Wilhelm Kempff is an especially important influence: "What I love about his playing is that he makes the piano sing and speak. That is my ultimate goal.”
- Schubert: Fantasia in C Major/Lieder Transcriptions/Sonata / David Fray (Atma 2006)
- Bach: Partita in D major; French Suite BWV 812 in B minor / Boulez: Douze Notations pour piano; "Incises" / David Fray (Virgin Classics 2007)
- Bach: Keyboard Concertos BWV 1052, 1055, 1056 & 1058 / David Fray, Die Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen (Virgin Classics 2008)
- Swing, Sing & Think. David Fray Records J.S. Bach / A film by Bruno Monsaingeon (Virgin Classics DVD 2008)
- Schubert: Impromptus Op.90, Moments Musicaux, Allegretto in C minor / David Fray (Virgin Classics 2009)
- Mozart: Piano Concertos 22 & 25 / David Fray, Philharmonia Orchestra, Jaap van Zweden (Virgin Classics 2010)
- David Fray Records Mozart - Piano Concertos Nos.22 & 25 / A film by Bruno Monsaingeon (Virgin Classics DVD 2011)
- Bach: Partitas Nos.2 & 6, Toccata BWV 911 / David Fray (Virgin Classics 2013)
- "David Fray > Overview". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-05-15.
- Interview with Jeremy Pound, BBC Music Magazine: republished by Bolero Artists Management 
- "David Fray: Biography". EMI. July 2009. Retrieved 2011-12-17.
- Boston Globe - A Young Pianist's State of Wonder
- New York Times - Focusing in on Dreams and Meditations
- Playbill Arts - 20 (Plus) Questions With Pianist David Fray
- Biography at EMI Classics
- David Fray Bach website
- David Fray Schubert website
- Bach Cantatas Short Biography