Family and education
Twin son of late Paul Gore-Booth, Baron Gore-Booth, GCMG, KCVO. Married 1st, 1964, Jillian Sarah (née Valpy) (marriage dissolved 1970); one son (Paul Wyatt Julian Gore-Booth); Married 2nd, 1977, Mary Elisabeth Janet, daughter of Sir David Muirhead, KCMG, CVO; one step son. He was educated at Eton College and Christ Church, Oxford.
HM Diplomatic Service, 1964-98:
- Middle East Centre for Arab Studies, 1964;
- Third Secretary, Baghdad, 1966;
- Third, later Second Secretary, Lusaka, 1967;
- FCO, 1969;
- Second Secretary, Tripoli, 1969;
- FCO, 1971;
- First Secretary, UK Permanent Representation to European Communities, Brussels, 1974;
- Assistant Head of Financial Relations Dept, FCO, 1978;
- Counsellor, Jedda, 1980;
- Counsellor and Head of Chancery, UK Mission to UN, New York, 1983;
- Head of Policy Planning Staff, FCO, 1987;
- Asst Under Sec. of State (ME), FCO, 1989;
- Ambassador, Saudi Arabia, 1993;
- High Commissioner, New Delhi, 1996-98.
- HSBC Bank Middle East, 1999-;
- British Arab Commercial Bank, 1999-;
- HSBC Bank Egypt, 1999-;
- Middle East International, 1999-;
- Saudi-British Bank, 2000-;
- Group 4 Falck, 2000;
- Vedanta Resources plc, 2003-. Co-Chairman: Dubai/UK Trade and Economic Cttee, 2000-;
- Qatar/Britain Association of Businessmen, 2001-;
- Director, Arab-British Chamber of Commerce, 2002-;
- Member: Moroccan-British Business Council, 2001-;
- Egyptian-British Business Council, 2003-;
- Vice-President, Middle East Association, 2002-.
- Next Century Foundation, 1997-;
- Medical Aid for Palestinians, 2001-.
Member Adv. Bd, Centre for Internat. Studies and Diplomacy, Birmingham University, 1999-.
- Who's Who
- Debrett's Peerage & Baronetage
Sir Nicholas Fenn
|High Commissioner to India
Sir Rob Young