David H. Stern
|David H. Stern|
|Born||October 31, 1935
Los Angeles, California
|Nationality||Israeli and American|
Personal life and academic work
Stern's background includes surfing, plus a Master of Divinity degree from Fuller Theological Seminary, graduate work at the University of Judaism (now the American Jewish University), and a Ph.D. in economics from Princeton University. He taught the first course in 'Judaism and Christianity' at Fuller Theological Seminary and at UCLA he was a professor. 
Complete Jewish Bible
Stern's major work is the Complete Jewish Bible, his English translation of the Tanakh and New Testament (which he, like many Messianic Jews, refers to as the "B'rit Hadashah", from the Hebrew term ברית חדשה, often translated "new covenant", used in Jeremiah 31). One unique feature of Stern's translation is the wide usage of transliteration, rather than literal translation, throughout the Bible. For the New Testament, Greek proper nouns are often replaced with transliterated Hebrew words. Stern himself refers to this as a "cosmetic" treatment.
Other notable characteristics of Stern's translation include the translating of Greek phrases about "the law" as having to do with "Torah-legalism" instead. More explanation is found in his Messianic Jewish Manifesto (now out of print) and his Messianic Judaism: A Modern Movement With an Ancient Past (a revision of the Manifesto).
- Surfing Guide to Southern California (with Bill Cleary) – 1st ed.: Fitzpatrick 1963. Current ed.: Mountain & Sea 1998, ISBN 0-911449-06-X
- Restoring the Jewishness of the Gospel – Jewish New Testament Publications, Jerusalem, 1988, ISBN 965-359-001-4
- Messianic Jewish Manifesto – Jewish New Testament Publications, Jerusalem, 1 May 1988, ISBN 965-359-002-2
- Messianic Judaism: A Modern Movement With An Ancient Past – Jewish New Testament Publications, Jerusalem, April 2007, ISBN 1-880226-33-2
- Jewish New Testament : A Translation of the New Testament that Expresses its Jewishness – Jewish New Testament Publications, Jerusalem, and Clarksville MD, September 1989, ISBN 965-359-006-5
- The Jewish New Testament Commentary: A Companion Volume to the Jewish New Testament – Jewish New Testament Publications, Jerusalem, 1992
- Complete Jewish Bible – Jewish New Testament Publications, Jerusalem, September 1998, ISBN 965-359-018-9
- How Jewish Is Christianity? (with others) (ed by Louis Goldberg) – Zondervan, November 2003, ISBN 0-310-24490-0
- "David H Stern, education & teaching.". About the Complete Jewish Bible. Archived from the original on 2006-04-25. Retrieved 2006-06-10.
- "David H Stern lives in Jerusalem". Is There Life After the King James Version. Retrieved 2006-05-15.
- "The Use of Liturgy in Messianic "Jewish" Worship, Note 15" (PDF). Mishkan25, Messianic "Jews" and Liturgy. 1996. Retrieved 2006-05-15.[dead link]