David Heinemeier Hansson
|David Heinemeier Hansson|
Hansson at the 2006 O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference
15 October 1979 |
Race Car Driver
|Known for||Ruby On Rails|
David Heinemeier Hansson (born 15 October 1979; known to the Ruby and ALMS communities as DHH) is a Danish programmer and the creator of the popular Ruby on Rails web development framework and the Instiki wiki. He is also a partner at the web-based software development firm Basecamp (formerly 37signals).
In 1999, Hansson founded and built a Danish online gaming news website and community called Daily Rush, which he ran until 2001.
After attracting the attention of Jason Fried by offering him help with PHP coding, Hansson was hired by Fried to build a web-based project management tool, which ultimately became 37signals' Basecamp software as a service product.
To aid the development process, Hansson used the then-obscure Ruby programming language to develop a custom web framework. The web framework he created was later released separately from the project management tool as the open source project Ruby on Rails. In 2005 he was recognized by Google and O'Reilly with the Hacker of the Year award for his creation of Ruby on Rails.
After graduating from the Copenhagen Business School and receiving his bachelor's degree in Computer Science and Business Administration, he moved from Denmark to Chicago, Illinois, U.S. in November 2005.
|24 Hours of Le Mans career|
|Participating years||2012 -|
|Teams||Aston Martin Racing|
|Best finish||8th (2013)|
David Heinemeier Hansson lists photography and race car driving amongst his hobbies. He took part in the 2012 24 Hours of Le Mans driving for OAK Racing. He also drove a Morgan-Nissan P2 car for Conquest Racing in the American Le Mans Series, winning two races in the season. Heinemeier Hansson joined OAK Racing full-time in 2013, taking five 2nd-place finishes to finish 2nd in the Trophy for LMP2 Drivers.
24 Hours of Le Mans results
|2012||OAK Racing|| Bas Leinders
|2013||OAK Racing|| Olivier Pla
|2014||Aston Martin Racing|| Kristian Poulsen
|Aston Martin Vantage GTE||GTE
Complete FIA World Endurance Championship results
|2013||OAK Racing||LMP2||Morgan LMP2||Nissan VK45DE 4.5 L V8||D||SIL
- 2005: Won Best Hacker of the Year 2005 at OSCON from Google and O'Reilly for the work on Rails.
- 2006: Accepted the Jolt Award of product excellence for Rails 1.0.
- 2012: Named ALMS Rookie of the year.
- David Heinemeier Hansson, ed. (October 2001). "Turning Another Year (Loud Thinking)". Retrieved 2 October 2007.
- The home screens of 37signals
- Daily Rush
- "Google-O'Reilly Open Source Awards - Hall of Fame". Google Code. Retrieved 2010-09-03. "Best Hacker: David Heinemeier Hansson (Ruby on Rails and 37Signals)"
- "DHH weblog". Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- Mercier, Laurent (2012-04-18). "L'équipage de la Morgan 2012 LMP2 #35 affiche complet" [The crew of the #35 LMP2 2012 Morgan sold out]. Endurance-Info (in French) (Infomaniak Network SA). Retrieved 2012-04-18.
- "Pagani Zonda HH". secretentourage.com. August 2010. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- Gary Bonanni (Oct 7, 2014). "One-of-a-Kind Koenigsegg Agera HH Spotted". carbuzz.com. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- About David Heinemeier Hansson. Loudthinking.com. Retrieved on 2014-05-30.
- Loud Thinking - Hansson's weblog
- Ruby on Rails
- Video of David Heinemeier Hansson presentation at Startup School
- David Heinemeier Hansson interview on the Inside the Net Podcast
- Martin Fowler and David Heinemeier Hansson interview on Hanselminutes Podcast
- David Heinemeier Hansson interview in Danish on Builder.dk Podcast
- Podcast interview with David Heinemeier Hansson on the Web 2.0 Show
- Ruby on Rails video David Heinemeier Hansson explains Ruby on Rails at the university of Roskilde, in 2004
- Keynote 2007 - RailsConf Europe 2007 - Berlin
- RailsConf Keynote on REST. July 9, 2006
- The Great Surplus - Keynote at RailsConf 2008 - Portland
- Living with legacy software - Keynote at RailsConf Europe 2008 - Berlin
- FLOSS Weekly podcast 79
- Podcast interview with David Heinemeier Hansson on This Developer's Life