David Hewson (author)
|Born||9 January 1953|
David Hewson (born 9 January 1953) is a contemporary British author of mystery novels. His series of mysteries, featuring police officers in Rome, led by the young detective and art lover Nic Costa, began with A Season for the Dead, has now been contracted to run to at least nine instalments by British, American, European and Asian publishers. The author's debut novel, Shanghai Thunder, was published by Robert Hale, in the United Kingdom, in 1986. Almost all copies of the book were sent to libraries, and has been re-issued. His second book was set in Spain during Holy Week and won the W H Smith Fresh Talent prize for one of the best first novels of 1996. Its film adaptation, released in 2002, was also titled Semana santa. Apart from that he has written a number of standalone novels, including Lucifer's Shadow and The Promised Land, and as well the second chapter of the audio serial novel The Chopin Manuscript started by Jeffery Deaver, with Lee Child and 13 other co-writers, for the audiobook site Audible.com. In June 2011 it was announced Hewson will write the novels based upon the first two series of the Danish TV series The Killing.
Hewson left school at 17 and joined a local newspaper in the north of England. He was later a news, business and foreign reporter for The Times, and features editor of The Independent when it was launched in 1986. He served as a board member of International Thriller Writers Inc. for four years until 2009.
- Shanghai Thunder (1986) ISBN 0-7090-2553-X
- Semana Santa (1995) ISBN 3-550-08239-8 (reissued as "Death in Seville" (2010) ISBN 978-0-330-51990-8)
- Epiphany (1997) ISBN 0-00-649706-3
- Solstice (1998) ISBN 0-446-52449-2
- Native Rites (1999) ISBN 0-00-651358-1
- Lucifer’s Shadow (revised edition re-entitled The Cemetery Of Secrets) (2001) ISBN 0-385-33794-9
- The Promised Land (2007)
- The Killing: Book One (2012) ISBN 1447208412
- The Killing: Book Two (2013) ISBN
- Carnival for the Dead (2012) ISBN 978-0-230-75593-2
- Nic Costa-series
- A Season for the Dead (2003) ISBN 0-385-33722-1
- The Villa of Mysteries (2004) ISBN 0-385-33772-8
- The Sacred Cut (2005) ISBN 0-385-33849-X
- The Lizard’s Bite (2006)
- The Seventh Sacrament (2007)
- The Garden of Evil (2008) Shortlisted for Theakston’s Old Peculiar Crime Novel of the Year Award 2009.
- Dante's Numbers (revised edition The Dante Killings in the US) (2008)
- The Blue Demon (City Of Fear in the US) (2009)
- The Fallen Angel (2011) ISBN 978-0-230-52937-3
- The Chopin Manuscript (with Jeffery Deaver, Lee Child and others, Audible audio serial (2007)
- SAVED 2007. ISBN 978-1-905886-76-0
In 2008, Hewson and narrator Saul Reichlin won the prize for best unabridged audiobook in the UK for The Seventh Sacrament. In 2009 the sixth Nic Costa novel, The Garden of Evil, won the American Library Association's best genre fiction reading list award for mystery.
- "Shortlist for Theakston’s Crime Novel of the year Award 2009". digyorkshire.com. 2 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-17.
- Audible 11 June 2008
- ALA Press release 3 February 2009