David Hobby (born January 30, 1965) is an American photographer and author of the Strobist.com lighting blog, a site which promotes lighting techniques — such as off-camera flash — among photographic enthusiasts, often with an emphasis on the practical knowledge rather than the gear.
Until July 2008, Hobby was a staff photojournalist with The Baltimore Sun. He runs Strobist.com, a popular blog devoted to photographic lighting techniques. The blog has an on-line monthly readership of over 300,000 photographers from 175 countries, and was named one of the "25 Best Blogs of 2010" by Time Magazine.
In June 2007, he took a year-long leave of absence from The Sun to blog full-time. On August 3, 2008, Hobby announced in a posting on his blog that he had taken a buyout from The Sun along with about one hundred staffers who left the paper at that time. He explained, "There was a hard staff reduction quota in effect, and given the way the blog has gone I thought it would be best if I counted toward it when they started lopping off heads..." Hobby said he planned to use the blog as a platform from which to explore various photographic projects.
- Jefferson Graham for USA Today
- Bill Crawford and Ed Hidden for StudioLighting.net
- Bill Millios for Rangefinder Magazine,
Hobby has authored an article on a DIY photo studio in the December 2007 issue of MacWorld, co-authored the book Columbia: A Celebration with wife Susan Thornton Hobby, and produced an eight-disc DVD lighting tutorial, "Strobist Lighting Seminar".
In 2011, Hobby released a new six DVD set entitled Lighting in Layers.
He currently lives in the Baltimore area with his wife Susan and two children.
- "Best Blogs of 2010". Time Magazine. 2010-06-28.
- "Blog, Newspaper, Family. Pick any Two.".
- "Will Shoot for Food". Strobist.
- "The Five Biggest Photographers on the Internet". Link broken as of 2012-09-23.
- Graham, Jefferson (2008-04-23). "In a flash, Strobist blog about lighting photos hit it big". USA Today.
- "Podcast Episode 020: David Hobby aka Strobist". LightSource Photography. Retrieved 2007-12-05.
- "Interview with David Hobby". Link broken as of 2012-09-23
- "DIY photo studio". MacWorld. December 2007.
- Columbia: A Celebration. Perry Publishing. 1995. ISBN 0-9643728-1-9.
- "Now Available: Strobist Lighting DVDs". Strobist. May 2008.
- Graham,, Jefferson (2011-07-13). "Review: 'Lighting in Layers' DVD and download". USA Today. Retrieved 2011-07-22.
- "Strobist FAQ". Strobist.blogspot.com. 2007-11-30. Retrieved 2012-11-09.