|His Excellency David Huebner|
|United States Ambassador to New Zealand|
December 04, 2009 – January 17, 2014
|Preceded by||William McCormick|
Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania
David Huebner (born 1960) is a partner in the international arbitration, public international law, and national security practices of the law firm Arnold & Porter LLP, resident in its Los Angeles office. He previously served as the United States Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa. His tenure was marked by significant improvement in bilateral relations, with commentators observing that relations are stronger and closer than they have been in decades. Called an “excellent public face for the United States,” he has been widely praised as a successful Ambassador including for his accessible, inclusive approach, his emphasis on students and future leaders, and the innovative restructuring of his Embassies around social media and other nontraditional tools and approaches of diplomacy. Before being appointed Ambassador he worked as an international lawyer in Los Angeles, Shanghai, and New York, specializing in international arbitration and mediation. He is licensed as an attorney in California, New York, and in the District of Columbia, and as a solicitor in England and Wales.
Huebner was born in Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania, a small coal mining town in Schuylkill County. He attended Mahanoy Area High School after which he earned an A.B. degree summa cum laude from Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. While at Princeton he was named a David Lawrence Scholar, served as president of Quadrangle Club, and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa. He earned his Juris Doctor degree at Yale Law School, where he served as editor-in-chief of the Yale Journal on Regulation, was director of the Street Law Project (which taught civics and basic law classes in local high schools), and was a member of the Yale AIDS Law Project, a student group that assisted with the publication of AIDS and the Law. From 1984 to 1985, Huebner was on leave of absence from Yale as a Henry Luce Scholar, serving as a special assistant to the Hon. Koji Kakizawa, a member of the lower house of Japan's Diet.
In April 2014, Huebner joined the law firm Arnold & Porter LLP as a partner in its international arbitration, public international law, and national security practices.  Resident in the firm’s Los Angeles office, he represents governments and corporations in international disputes, trade, and investment matters with an emphasis on intellectual property-intensive sectors as well as energy, infrastructure, and construction projects. He also handles cross-border regulatory, corporate compliance, and cyber and supply chain security matters.
After graduating from law school in 1986, Huebner moved to Los Angeles, California as a Fellow at the Center for Law in the Public Interest. A year later, he began his career in private legal practice at Irell & Manella. In 1992, Huebner joined the international law firm Coudert Brothers where he specialized in international arbitration and corporate compliance work and served as managing partner of the Los Angeles office, on the global executive board, and for a term as global chairman and chief executive officer. In September 2005, he joined Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP, moving to Shanghai to open the firm’s first overseas office. He served as the firm’s chief representative in China and managing partner of the Shanghai office, where he specialized in international arbitration, corporate compliance, and trade until leaving to become Ambassador.
He is licensed as an attorney in California, New York, and in the District of Columbia, and as a solicitor in England and Wales. As a practicing lawyer he received Martindale-Hubbell’s highest peer review practice quality rating (AV). He was admitted as a Fellow of the London-based Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, served on the Paris-based International Chamber of Commerce’s Commission on Arbitration, and served on the panels of arbitrators of several arbitration institutions including the International Center for Dispute Resolution, American Arbitration Association, and China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission.
In 1999 Huebner was appointed to the California Law Revision Commission by Governor Gray Davis and was reappointed in 2005 by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. From 1999 to 2007 he taught full-semester courses in international law at the University of Southern California Gould School of Law. He has also served as an arbitrator for more than a decade at the annual Willem Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot competitions in Hong Kong and Vienna.
In October 2009, President Barack Obama nominated Huebner as U.S. Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa, a post held by William McCormick until January 2009. Huebner was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on November 20, 2009. Huebner, a Democrat, is the first openly gay ambassador in the Obama administration, and the third openly gay ambassador in U.S. history.He was the first openly LGBT ambassador in American history knowingly confirmed by the U.S. Senate. During his confirmation hearing before the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, Huebner introduced his partner of 20 years, Duane McWaine; the hearing was held on the couple’s 20th wedding anniversary, which Huebner acknowledged in his remarks. Huebner was sworn in as Ambassador at the White House by Vice President Joseph Biden on December 4, 2009.
Separately accredited to New Zealand and Samoa, he has responsibility as well for U.S. relations with the small island nations of Cook Islands and Niue. During his time as Ambassador, Huebner reengineered his two Embassies around youth outreach, whole-of-society engagement, expanding exchange programs, developing new approaches and tools of “21st Century Statecraft,” and identifying practical, mutually beneficial opportunities for bilateral and multilateral cooperation on economic, science/technology, political, security, and civil society projects. The U.S. State Department and outside commentators have suggested that current relations between the United States and New Zealand are the best they have been in decades.
Huebner hosted an unusually large number of visits by senior officials during his tenure as Ambassador, including visits to New Zealand by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in 2010 (the first such visit to Wellington in a quarter century), Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano in 2012, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta in 2012 (the first visit by a Secretary of Defense in more than 30 years), and Attorney General Eric Holder in 2013, as well as a visit to Cook Islands by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in 2012. During her 2010 visit to Wellington, Secretary Clinton and New Zealand Minister of Foreign Affairs Murray McCully signed the Wellington Declaration, reaffirming the historical ties between the U.S. and New Zealand and establishing a framework for renewed strategic partnership and practical cooperation. During a visit to Washington in 2012, New Zealand Defence Minister Jonathan Coleman and Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta signed the Washington Declaration, reaffirming the two countries historical cooperation on security matters and setting a framework for renewed dialogue and practical collaboration in areas such as humanitarian and disaster relief and maritime security.
Huebner successfully advocated for a Shiprider Joint Maritime Law Enforcement Agreement between Samoa and the United States to assist Apia in enforcing its rights within its Exclusive Economic Zone. He also hosted the Pacific Partnership mission in 2013, restructured Embassy Apia around civil society capacity building and economic development, and facilitated construction of a district medical center near Faleolo Airport by the U.S. Pacific Command.
Upon his arrival Huebner began forming student adviser groups at each university in New Zealand with whom he meets regularly. All of the adviser groups are brought together annually for a three-day Connecting Young Leaders Conference focused on leadership training, policy discussions, and networking. His student adviser program has been replicated in other jurisdictions. In 2013 he launched a similar annual Future Leaders of the Pacific Conference (FLP) to engage with young leaders under age 25 from the 17 nations of the Pacific Islands Forum. The first FLP was held in Pago Pago, American Samoa. The second FLP is scheduled for 2014 in Apia, Samoa.
Other youth programs included establishing annual travel awards for top science students and social entrepreneurs, adding Samoa to the Fulbright scholarship program, supporting the Vex Robotics competitions in New Zealand, frequently teaching in local secondary schools, regularly lecturing in universities, sponsoring sports exchanges, adding students to the periodic U.S./N.Z. Partnership Forum, and hosting NASA’s annual mobile apps competition (NASA Space Apps Challenge). Under his leadership the Embassy organized and hosted in 2013 the inaugural USA Universities Expo in Auckland which drew representatives from 35 American institutions of higher education and more than 2,600 local attendees.
In addition to youth outreach, Huebner restructured his Embassies to focus on whole-of-society and digital outreach. He launched new programs to engage indigenous peoples, the Pacific diaspora, faith communities, the LGBT community, veterans, and social entrepreneurs, and he revised Embassy invitation lists and events to reflect and include the full community.
Huebner also retooled Embassy Wellington into a test bed for the State Department’s cyber-diplomacy and 21st Century Statecraft initiatives. In 2010 he launched one of the first ambassador blogs and significantly expanded his Embassies’ social media platforms. In 2013 he built a digital recording and broadcast studio in Embassy Wellington. Under his leadership, Embassy Wellington in 2012 conceived and then partnered with the Auckland University of Technology and Social Media NZ to host the inaugural Project (R)evolution conference, which drew more than 200 digital thinkers from New Zealand, the United States, and elsewhere to discuss the status and future of digital communications and internet-driven change. The next Project conference is scheduled for May 2014.
The U.S. Antarctic Program stages many of its Antarctic operations from Christchurch, New Zealand. As part of Embassy Wellington’s science programs, the Ambassador traveled twice to Antarctica’s Ross Sea and the South Pole, in November 2010 and February 2012.
Civic & Volunteer Activities
Huebner has a long history of involvement in civic, philanthropic, and NGO activities, serving on various boards and commissions. He has been a generous benefactor of youth literacy and education programs including the Mahanoy City Public Library. He currently sits as honorary chairperson of Fulbright New Zealand, a trustee of the New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust, and patron for the American Chamber of Commerce. He was a founding member of the Los Angeles Committee on Foreign Relations and was active in the Los Angeles World Affairs Council and the Pacific Council on International Policy. He served as a founding national board member, co-chair, and general counsel of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) and as a member of the board of the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center.
In 1994 he was appointed by the City Council to the Los Angeles Quality & Productivity Commission, where he served as president. In 1999 Huebner was appointed to the California Law Revision Commission by Governor Gray Davis and was reappointed in 2005 by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, serving several terms as chairman. He served as a staff counsel to the Independent Commission on the Los Angeles Police Department, formed after the Rodney King incident. He served on California Governor Gray Davis’ Judicial Selection Advisory Committee.
He has a particular interest in education and literacy efforts. For many years he has supported the public library in his hometown of Mahanoy City, and he was recently awarded the key to the City in recognition of his efforts. From 1999 to 2007 he taught full-semester courses in international law at the University of Southern California Gould School of Law and has lectured and led seminars in other universities in China, New Zealand, and the United States.
Honors & Awards
Huebner was awarded the rank of Eagle Scout by the Boy Scouts of America in 1976. He received numerous awards and scholarships during his secondary and tertiary education years, including being named a David Lawrence Scholar at Princeton and a Henry Luce Fellow while at Yale and being elected to Phi Beta Kappa honor society.
The communications industry professional association Public Affairs Asia awarded him and his team the Gold Standard Award for Social Media Communications at its annual awards event in Singapore in 2012.
On August 24, 2013, Huebner served as Grand Marshal at celebrations of the 150th anniversary of the founding of his hometown of Mahanoy City. For his public service and his support of the public library he was awarded the key to the City by the Mayor.
On October 20, 2013, Huebner and his spouse Dr. Duane McWaine were honored by GABA (Gay Auckland Business Association) at a black-tie dinner in recognition of their whole-of-society engagement and contributions to the LGBT community in New Zealand.
On October 30, 2013, Huebner was made a Fellow of the Auckland University of Technology Faculty of Business and Law in recognition of his commitment to higher education and student achievement. AUT’s Vice-Chancellor, Derek McCormack, presented the award at a reception held at Auckland’s Mackelvie Gallery.
- Embassy of the United States in Wellington
- Foreign policy of the Barack Obama administration
- New Zealand – United States relations
- Samoa – United States relations
- Washington, Diplomat. "His Excellency David Huebner". The Washington Diplomat. Retrieved 8/10/2012.
- Former U.S. Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa David Huebner Joins Arnold & Porter's Los Angeles Office | April 21, 2014 | http://www.arnoldporter.com/news.cfm?u=FormerUSAmbassadortoNewZealandandSamoaDavidHuebnerJoinsArnoldPortersLosAngelesOffice&type=press_release&action=view&id=573
- "Nominations Confirmed (Civilian)". United States Senate. (senate.gov). November 20, 2009. Retrieved November 21, 2009.
- http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL1210/S00153/usnz-councils-burst-of-activity.htm | Saturday, 27 October 2012 | US/NZ Council's burst of activity | Connie Lawn
- http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2013/10/the_new_us_ambassador.html | http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2013/10/the_new_us_ambassador.html | October 31st, 2013
- http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2013/10/the_new_us_ambassador.html#comment-1225632 | tvb (3,659 comments)
- http://www.elocal.co.nz/View_Article~Id~944~title~ELocaL%20COMMUNITY%20MAGAZINE%20-%20View%20Articles.html | Celebrating 4th Of July With Our American Allies | by Written by: Lucy Mullinger. Photos: Ola Thorsen US
- http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2013/10/the_new_us_ambassador.html | The new US Ambassador | October 31st, 2013 at 7:00 am by David Farrar
- http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/2/article_14061.php | Time nearly up for GABA Charity Auction tickets | By GayNZ.com Daily News staff - 17th October 2013
- http://justadandak.com/american-embassy-wellington-digital-studio-an-opening-opportunity/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+justadandak+%28just+a+D+and+a+K%29 | American Embassy Wellington Digital Studio | An Opening / Opportunity | MARCH 5, 2013
- Trevett, Claire (October 8, 2009). "Gay lawyer set to be next US ambassador to NZ". The New Zealand Herald (nzherald.co.nz). Retrieved October 8, 2009.
- Johnston, Nicholas (October 7, 2009). "Obama Nominates Openly Gay Lawyer to Be New Zealand Ambassador". Bloomberg News (bloomberg.com). Retrieved October 8, 2009.
- "President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts". Office of the Press Secretary. (whitehouse.gov). October 7, 2009. Retrieved October 8, 2009.
- "Mahanoy City native nominated for ambassadorship". Republican & Herald (republicanherald.com). October 9, 2009. Retrieved October 13, 2009.[dead link]
- Lerner, Marcy (December 2004). View from the Top: Law Firm Leaders. Vault Career Library. New York City: Vault Inc. p. 34. ISBN 978-1-58131-298-0. Retrieved October 13, 2009.
- Plenary Session Speaker Biographies | Every Voice Conference | Retrieved October 30, 2011 | http://alumni.princeton.edu/goinback/conferences/lgbt/EveryVoiceSpeakerBios.pdf
- David Huebner Mediation Attorney | Mediation.com | Retrieved October 31, 2013 | http://www.mediation.com/memberprofile/david--huebner-90071-ac.aspx
- Judson, Bruce (July 1, 2008). "Remarks at the Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Dinner of the Yale Journal on Regulation". Yale Journal on Regulation (Summer 2008). Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- Burris, Scott (March 31, 1993). AIDS Law Today: A New Guide for the Public (2 ed.). New Haven, Connecticut: Yale University Press. pp. xix. ISBN 978-0-300-05512-2. Retrieved October 13, 2009.
- Gardner, Marilyn (August 20, 2007). "The challenge of working abroad". The Christian Science Monitor (csmonitor.com). Retrieved October 13, 2009.
- "David Huebner – Lecturer in Law". University of Southern California Law School. (law.usc.edu). Retrieved October 13, 2009.
- http://www.arnoldporter.com/news.cfm?u=FormerUSAmbassadortoNewZealandandSamoaDavidHuebnerJoinsArnoldPortersLosAngelesOffice&type=press_release&action=view&id=573 | Former U.S. Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa David Huebner Joins Arnold & Porter's Los Angeles Office | April 21, 2014.
- Huebner Elected Chair of Law Revision Commission | California Law Revision Commission | August 28, 2006 | http://www.clrc.ca.gov/pub/Press/Press-Chair-Huebner-06.pdf
- U.S. Department of State | Biography David Huebner | Retrieved October 30, 2013 | http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/biog/133312.htm
- December 8, 2009 | Former Sheppard Mullin Shanghai Managing Partner Appointed U.S. Ambassador To New Zealand And Samoa | http://www.sheppardmullin.com/press-releases-274.html
- "Governor Schwarzenegger Announces Appointments 04/13/2005". Office of the Governor. (governor.ca.gov). April 13, 2005. Retrieved October 13, 2009.
- LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell Announces 88 Lawyers Receive Peer Review Ratings | CNN | October 4, 2006 | http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/marketwire/06168002.htm
- Sheppard Mullin Launches Shanghai Office | March 12, 2007 | http://www.sheppardmullin.com/press-releases-181.html
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission | Panel of Arbitrators | May 1, 2008 | http://sccietac.org/cietac/admin/files/CIETAC%20Panel%20of%20Arbitrators.pdf
- Coudert Brothers' Partner Nominated to California Law Revision Commission | PR Newswire | Retrieved October 30, 2013| http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/coudert-brothers-partner-nominated-to-california-law-revision-commission-77616967.html
- Coudert Brothers LLP | David Huebner - Chairman | Retrieved October 30, 2013 | http://careerinsider.vault.com/images/pdf/3035/1632.pdf
- Elliott, Philip (October 7, 2009). "Obama picks openly gay lawyer for ambassadorship". Associated Press (news.yahoo.com). Retrieved October 8, 2009.[dead link]
- Stolberg, Sheryl Gay (October 7, 2009). "Obama to Name Openly Gay Ambassador". The New York Times (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com). Retrieved October 8, 2009.
- "US envoy sees closer ties with NZealand". Agence France-Presse (news.asiaone.com). November 6, 2009. Retrieved November 21, 2009.
- The United States Diplomatic Mission to New Zealand | About Us page | http://newzealand.usembassy.gov/about-us.html
- U.S. Ambassador to New Zealand Blog archive with aforementioned subject areas http://blogs.newzealand.usembassy.gov/ambassador/calendar-archive/
- U.S. Relations With New Zealand | Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs | Fact Sheet | October 24, 2012 http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/35852.htm
- Full text of the Wellington Declaration | Fairfax Media | 04/11/2010 | http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/4309206/
- Full text of the Washington Declaration | 19th June, 2012 | http://www.beehive.govt.nz/sites/all/files/WashingtonDeclaration.pdf
- The United States and Samoa Cooperate to Protect Ocean Resources | 13th November 2012 | http://www.talamua.com/the-united-states-and-samoa-cooperate-to-protect-ocean-resources/
- U.S. Navy Ship Pearl Harbor launches Pacific Partnership | 1st June 2013| http://www.talamua.com/u-s-navy-ship-pearl-harbor-visits-apia-samoa-to-launch-pacific-partnership-2013/
- Connecting Young Leaders Conference | October 5, 2010 | http://blogs.newzealand.usembassy.gov/ambassador/2010/10/young-leaders-connected-2/
- Youth Councils Worldwide | Fact Sheet | May 24, 2013 | http://www.state.gov/j/gyi/releases/press/2013/209911.htm
- Radio New Zealand - Samoa News | 02/03/2013 American Samoa hosts future leaders of Pacific meeting | http://samoanews.com/?q=node/72362
- The Future Leaders gathering | Feb 4 2013 | http://www.eastwestcenter.org/events/future-leaders-the-pacific-trends-issues-and-opportunities-collective-regional-action
- Future Leaders of the Pacific Convene in Pago Pago | February 20, 2013 | http://blogs.newzealand.usembassy.gov/ambassador/2013/02/future-leaders-of-the-pacific-convene-in-pago-pago/
- Scoop NZ/AUT Media Release| Wednesday, 17 April 2013, 3:51 pm | NASA Space Apps Challenge launches in Auckland | http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/ED1304/S00112/nasa-space-apps-challenge-launches-in-auckland.htm
- Fairfax Media | Author NICOLE PRYOR | 19/09/2013 | US university roadshow in Auckland | http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/9186354/US-university-roadshow-in-Auckland
- NZ Herald | Author Russell Blackstock | Sunday Sep 15, 2013 | Ivy League recruits Downunder | http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11124848
- U.S. Ambassador's blog | Blog archive search Pacific | http://blogs.newzealand.usembassy.gov/ambassador/?s=Pacific
- U.S. Ambassador's blog | LGBT archive search | http://blogs.newzealand.usembassy.gov/ambassador/?s=lgbt
- US Embassy New Zealand website | March 2013 | The Digital Studio | http://newzealand.usembassy.gov/digital_studio.html
- NBR | Chris Keall | Monday September 03, 2012 | Obama's social media guru has advice for Twitter tryhards | http://www.nbr.co.nz/opinion/obamas-social-media-guru-has-advice-twitter-tryhards
- AUT | Dr Jeffery Cole at AUT University on 19th November 2013 | http://www.aut.ac.nz/study-at-aut/study-areas/communications/beyond-the-classroom/news-and-events/the-project
- U.S. Ambassador's blog | Launching the New Antarctic Research Season | September 29, 2013 | http://blogs.newzealand.usembassy.gov/ambassador/2013/09/launching-the-new-antarctic-research-season/
- republiccanherald.com | January 9, 2010 | | John E. Usalis | http://republicanherald.com/news/mahanoy-students-donate-rug-to-library-1.534086
- Fulbright New Zealand | Board | Retrieved October 30, 2013 | http://www.fulbright.org.nz/about/board/
- Trustees, Patrons & Staff at Antarctic Heritage Trust New Zealand | Retrieved October 30, 2013 | http://www.nzaht.org/AHT/patrons/
- American Chamber of Commerce in New Zealand Inc. | About Us | Retrieved October 30, 2013 | http://amcham.co.nz/Default.aspx?pageId=1292745
- Members - In the News - Pacific Council on International Policy | Retrieved October 30, 2013 | http://www.pacificcouncil.org/membersinthenews
- GLAAD WELCOMES NEW BOARD CO-CHAIRS GENE FALK AND STEVEN J. WEISSMAN TAKE ON ROLES AFTER SUCCESSFUL NATIONAL TRANSITION | November 25, 1997 | http://www.qrd.org/qrd/orgs/GLAAD/1997/welcomes.new.board.cochairs-11.25.97
- Christopher, Warren (1991). Report of the Independent Commission on the Los Angeles Police Department. Los Angeles: The Commission.
- Grand Marshal named for Schuylkill Co. Firefighters Convention Parade | Times News | August 13, 2013 | http://www.tnonline.com/2013/aug/13/grand-marshal-named-schuylkill-co-firefighters-convention-parade
- Amabssador | Embassy of the United States | United States Diplomatic Mission to New Zealand | Retrieved October 30, 2013 | http://newzealand.usembassy.gov/ambassador.html
- The Gold Standard Awards 2011 : Guide to the award winners, commended & shortlisted entries | Page 16 | http://www.publicaffairsasia.net/winners_guide2011.pdf
- Sesquicentennial parade draws hundreds to borough | Republican Herald | Stephen J. Pytak | August 25, 2013 | http://republicanherald.com/news/sesquicentennial-parade-draws-hundreds-to-borough-1.1541655
- Ambassador's send-off a cracker auction | Gaynz.com | October 21, 2013 | http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/2/article_14076.php
- Twitter | October 24, 2013 | https://twitter.com/royalsocietynz/status/393463978443030528
- Twitter | October 29, 2013 | https://twitter.com/SarahTrotmannz/status/395429901706096640
- US Embassy New Zealand | October 31 | http://newzealand.usembassy.gov/fellowship.html
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to David Huebner.|
- David Huebner's biography, by the U.S. State Department
- David Huebner's blog, via newzealand.usembassy.gov
- Embassy of the United States – New Zealand official website
- Embassy of the United States – Samoa official website
- David Huebner Twitter Feed Twitter feed
- David Huebner LinkedIn page LinkedIn page
- David Huebner Pinterest page Pinterest page
- Written Statement of David Huebner, testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
|United States Ambassador to New Zealand
Also accredited to Samoa