David James Baker
David James Baker is an American filmmaker.
Baker is the writer-director of Portraits of the Southwest, a documentary series produced by Public Television for Southern New Mexico and West Texas. Portraits of the Southwest profiles people and their environments in the American Southwest. The most recent episode "Portraits of the Southwest - Road Closed" reveals the story of a gay couple who tried for 10 years to open a hotel in Radium Springs, New Mexico.
Before he began producing documentaries for public television he produced the documentary film In Their Own Words - A Return to Vietnam about a group of American Veterans and family members whose hearts and minds are connected to battlefields they visit and where they meet former enemy soldiers. Baker is a Visiting Professor at Western New Mexico University. His background includes stints at Disney and working in media technology at UCLA.
- Independent Film: IFP.org
- Desert Exposure: Radium Hot Springs
- Robert Nott. "Meaning and Remembrance." The Santa Fe New Mexican, May 28, 2004; p. 66
- Skyhorse Media
- Desert Exposure: July 2005 Events Guide
- Portraits of the Southwest Series Features Music of Steve Smith
- David James Baker in India for discussion with aspiring media professionals and designers