David Jones (video game developer)
David Jones in 2003
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
|Occupation||Video game designer|
|Known for||Lemmings, Grand Theft Auto|
David Jones (born 1966) is a Scottish games programmer and entrepreneur who founded DMA Design in 1988 (now known as Rockstar North as of 2002) and Realtime Worlds in 2002. Jones created major game series Lemmings and the highly acclaimed, but controversial Grand Theft Auto video game (which later spawned many successful sequels). Jones founded the computer game company Realtime Worlds in 2002 where he worked as a creative director of the company. His most recent work was creating the original franchise Crackdown for the Xbox 360 console and the open-ended massively multiplayer online game, APB: All Points Bulletin.
David Jones career started with indie game Menace which he released in 1988.The game sold 15,000 copies and Jones went on to make a second game, Blood Money. With his company DMA Design, Jones created Lemmings, resulting in awards including winning European Game of the Year twice. DMA Design went on to create Grand Theft Auto. In 2012 Jones revealed that much of the controversy surrounding Grand Theft Auto was engineered by their publicist.
Jones was the keynote speaker for the World Cyber Games in 2004 where he said that he considered mainstream multiplatform gaming to be the next big thing, and for the 2009 Develop Conference in Brighton.
- Menace (1988)
- Blood Money (1989)
- Lemmings (1991)
- Oh No! More Lemmings (1991)
- Leander (1991)
- Shadow of the Beast (1992)
- Lemmings 2: The Tribes (1993)
- Holiday Lemmings (1993)
- Hired Guns (1993)
- The Lemmings Chronicles (1994)
- Grand Theft Auto (1997)
- Body Harvest (1998)
- Space Station Silicon Valley (1998)
- Tanktics (1999)
- Grand Theft Auto 2 (1999)
- Mobile Forces (2002)
- Crackdown (2007)
- APB: All Points Bulletin (2010)
- Crackdown (2016)
- "Interview: The APB ABC Part 1 | Features". Edge Online. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- "David Jones Returns To APB | News". Edge Online. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- "News – GTA Creator Gets New Funding". Gamasutra. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- "Grand Theft Auto V: Games visionary behind Scotland's biggest cultural export". Daily Record. 15 September 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- Maxwell, Ben (22 October 2012). "Grand Theft Auto creators detail Max Clifford’s engineered controversy". Edge. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- Welsh, Oli (12 March 2010). "Realtime Worlds' David Jones". Eurogamer. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "GTA Creator David Jones keynotes World Cyber Games 2004 Conference". Gamespot. 7 October 2004. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- Alexander, Jem (19 March 2009). "Develop 2009's speaker lineup partially unveiled". Joystiq. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- Lahti, Evan (1 August 2013). "Why the creator of GTA and the lead designer of Diablo II are making a Facebook game together". PC Gamer. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to David Jones.|