David King (drummer)
David King (born 8 June 1970) is a drummer/ composer from Minneapolis. He is best known for being a founding member of the jazz groups The Bad Plus (with Reid Anderson and Ethan Iverson) and Happy Apple (with Michael Lewis and Erik Fratzke) although he is active in many other projects including free jazz collective Buffalo Collision with NYC "Downtown" musicians Tim Berne and Hank Roberts and the electronic art/pop group Halloween Alaska as well as the noise/prog band The Gang Font with former Husker Du bassist Greg Norton.
In 2012 King released a trio record of standards featuring Bill Carrothers and Billy Peterson on Sunnyside Records.
In 2011 King release the Debut album of the Dave King Trucking Company called Good Old Light on Sunnyside Records.
In 2010 King released a solo record titled "Indelicate" on the Sunnyside label where the drummer plays duets with himself on piano aided by overdubbing in the studio.
He has also recorded and or performed with Bill Frisell, Joshua Redman, Joe Lovano, Dewey Redman, Chris Speed, Ursus Minor (with Tony Hymas, Jef Lee Johnson, François Corneloup, Jeff Beck, Boots Riley and Dead Prez), Joe 'Guido' Welsh, Viktor Krauss, Matt Maneri, Bill Carrothers, Anthony Cox, Atmosphere, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Benoît Delbecq, Django Bates, Meat Beat Manifesto, Craig Taborn's Junk Magic, Tchad Blake, Tony Platt, Mason Jennings, Haley Bonar, Wendy Lewis, Chris Morissey, Jim Mcneely and HR big band, Peter Lang, and Craig Green among others.
King has also written and performed for modern dance with the Mark Morris Dance Group and for fashion, composing and performing live for three seasons of designer Isaac Mizrahi's fashion week shows at Bryant Park NYC and for film with the award winning animated shorts "Bike Ride Story" and "Bike Race" by Tom Schroeder. In March 2008 King appeared with The Bad Plus on the Late Night with Conan O'Brien television show playing one of King's compositions, "Thriftstore Jewelry".
King also features in the documentary 'King for Two Days' which documents a two-night concert held at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, MN celebrating the music of Dave King and featuring performances by five of the bands he drums in. King for Two Days is an official selection for the 2012 Big Sky Documentary Film Festival.
- The Bad Plus
- Happy Apple
- Halloween, Alaska
- Golden Valley is Now
- Dave King Trucking Company
- The Gang Font, feat. Interloper (with ex-Hüsker Dü bassist Greg Norton)
- Buffalo Collision (with pianist Ethan Iverson, cellist Hank Roberts and saxophonist Tim Berne)
- Chris Morrissey Trio
- The Dave King Trio (with pianist Bill Carrothers and bassist Billy Peterson)
- 12 Rods
- Bill Carrothers' "The Electric Bill"
- Craig Taborn (plays on Junk Magic album)
- Meat Beat Manifesto (plays on At the Center album)
- Ursus Minor
- Haley Bonar
- Mason Jennings (plays on Boneclouds album)
- Siamese Fighting Fish (with bassist Anthony Cox and guitarist Dean Granros)
- Dave King's homepage (with complete discography, touring schedule, and periodic blog posts)
- 2013 Audio Interview with Dave King from the podcast I'd Hit That
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to David King (musician).|