June 9, 1963 |
Pewaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.
David Koepp (born June 9, 1963) is an American screenwriter and director. Koepp is the fifth most successful screenwriter of all time in terms of domestic box office receipts with totals at just over $2 billion.
As a writer, Koepp has worked on blockbuster Hollywood films such as Jurassic Park, Mission Impossible, and Spider-Man. He has a cameo as the man who is eaten by the T-Rex in San Diego in The Lost World: Jurassic Park, on which he worked as a writer and second unit director. Koepp was reportedly paid $4,000,000 for his Panic Room screenplay. He wrote the screenplay for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and co-wrote and directed 2008's Ghost Town starring Ricky Gervais and Greg Kinnear.
In 2012, Koepp directed Premium Rush, which he co-wrote with John Kamps. In an August 2011 lawsuit, Joe Quirk, the author of the 1998 novel The Ultimate Rush, accused Koepp and the makers of Premium Rush of copyright infringement. On April 2, 2013, U.S. District Judge Richard Seeborg dismissed this case, finding that the two works were not substantially similar.
On February 17, 2013, Koepp received the WGA East's Ian McClellan Hunter Award for Career Achievement.
On July 10, 2013 it was announced in the news that Lionsgate has acquired the comedic crime novel The Great Mortdecai Moustache Mystery written by Kyril Bonfiglioli. The film is titled as Mortdecai and currently is in development at Lionsgate, Koepp is set to direct the film from a script by Eric Aronson. Johnny Depp will lead in the role of Charlie Mortdecai, Ewan McGregor and Gwyneth Paltrow are also set as lead cast in the film.
Koepp was born in Pewaukee, Wisconsin, to a family therapist mother and Donald Koepp, who owns a billboard company. While attending Kettle Moraine High School in Wales, Wisconsin, he worked evenings and weekends at the McDonald's restaurant in Delafield. He received his bachelor's in film from UCLA. He has four children and a wife, Melissa.
|2002||Hack||Writer||(also series creator)|
- Box Office Mojo - People Index
- Siegel, Tatiana (November 11, 2009). "Koepp to helm 'Premium Rush'". Variety (Reed Business Information). Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- Stevens, Elizabeth Lesly, "A Big Hollywood Movie Is Coming, and a Novelist Cries Foul", The New York Times, August 20, 2011
- Gardner, Eriq, "Sony Pictures Wins 'Premium Rush' Theft Lawsuit", "The Hollywood Reporter", April 3, 2013
- McNary, Dave, "WGA East Honors Koepp", "Variety", January 29, 2013
- "Johnny Depp to Star in 'Mortdecai' for Lionsgate, Director David Koepp". thewrap.com. 10 July 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "David Koepp is set to direct from Eric Aronson’s script". deadline.com. 10 July 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Johnny Depp in Talks to Star in 'Mortdecai'". hollywoodreporter.com. 10 July 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Gwyneth Paltrow and Ewan McGregor join Johnny Depp on Mortdecai". guardian.co.uk. 25 July 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- David Koepp Biography (1963-)