Life and career
Kynaston was educated at Wellington College and New College, Oxford, from which he graduated in 1973, and was awarded a PhD at the London School of Economics. He became a Visiting Professor at Kingston University in 2001.
Tales of a New Jerusalem
In 2007 Kynaston published Austerity Britain, 1945–1951 to much acclaim. The title consists of two books that together make the first volume in a projected series of six entitled Tales of a New Jerusalem. In this series Kynaston intends to chronicle the history of Great Britain from the end of World War II to the ascension of Margaret Thatcher in 1979. Austerity Britain was named "Book of the Decade" by The Sunday Times.
Family Britain (2010) is the second volume in the series, and was also released as two books. It covers the period from 1951 to the Suez crisis of 1957. The volume was serialized on BBC Radio 4 as its Book of the Week for 23 November 2009, read by Dominic West. The third volume, Modernity Britain, covering the years 1957–59, was published in June 2013.
- King Labour: British Working Class, 1850–1914, 1976
- The Financial Times: a centenary history, 1988
- Cazenove & Co.: a history, 1991
- The Bank of England: Money, Power, and Influence 1694–1994, 1995 (edited by Richard Roberts)
- The City of London: A World of Its Own, 1815–90 Vol 1, 1995
- The City of London: Golden Years, 1890–1914 v. 2, 1995
- The City of London: Illusions of Gold, 1914–45 v. 3, 2000
- The City of London: Club No More, 1945–2000 v. 4, 2002 (with Will Sulkin)
- Austerity Britain, 1945–1951, Bloomsbury, 2007. Published also in two separate volumes:
- Family Britain, 1951–1957, Bloomsbury, 2009, ISBN 978-0-7475-8385-1
- City of London: The History
- Modernity Britain, 1957–1959, Bloomsbury, 2013, ISBN 978-0-7475-8893-1
- Random House's page about City of London 1 specifies Wellington College, New College Oxford, and the LSE, although it does not give years or degrees.
- Christopher Silvester (30 October 2009). "Family Britain, 1951–57: David Kynaston". Express. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- Kynaston, David (2007). Austerity Britain, 1945–1951. London: Bloomsbury. p. ix. ISBN 978-0-7475-9923-4.
- "The best of the decade". The Times. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- Diski, Jenny (August 2010). "Fastidious Albion: Postwar Britain keeps calm, carries on". Harper's Magazine 321 (1,923): 79–82. Retrieved 29 June 2013. (subscription required)
- Kynaston, David (23 November 2009). "Family Britain". Book of the Week. BBC. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- DeGroot, Gerard (14 June 2013). "Modernity Britain by David Kynaston, review". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- Bennett, Catherine (22 June 2013). "Modernity Britain: Opening the Box, 1957-1959 by David Kynaston – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- Mark Damazer, "Modernity Britain by David Kynaston: Social history with a smile" (review), New Statesman, 27 June 2013.