David Anderson (Saskatchewan politician)
|David L. Anderson|
|Member of Parliament
for Cypress Hills—Grasslands
|Preceded by||Lee Morrison|
August 15, 1957 |
|Children||Amy and Andrew|
|Cabinet||Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs|
David L. Anderson (born August 15, 1957 in Frontier, Saskatchewan) is a Conservative member of the Canadian House of Commons representing Cypress Hills—Grasslands, a position he has held since 2000. He was a member of the Canadian Alliance from 2000 to 2003. He is a businessman, and a farmer. He has received broad based support being re-elected in 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2011 with significant margins.
Other political experience
As Parliamentary Secretary for the Canadian Wheat Board, Anderson did extensive work which culminated in marketing freedom for Western Canadian farmers. As Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Natural Resources, he was instrumental in efforts to open up resource development in Canada.
From 2006 to 2010, Anderson served as Chairman of the National Prayer Breakfast in Ottawa. He has been committed to raising awareness of the need to protect religious freedom around the world, hosting annual Parliamentary Forums on Religious Freedom. In addition, Anderson worked with fellow MP Bev Shipley to present and pass Motion 382, which unanimously declared the Parliament of Canada's support for religious freedom around the world.
Canadian Wheat Board comment controversy
In October 2011, Anderson mocked Canadian Wheat Board officials on his official Conservative party website by posting a video that national leader of Canadian Inuit Mary Simon immediately denounced for the repeated use of a racial slur. In the video, an animated character uses a pejorative term, Eskimo, which is considered derogatory towards aboriginal peoples in Canada, to suggest that the Canadian Wheat Board officials and the Inuit sound foreign and make no sense.
- Official website for David Anderson
- National Inuit Leader Denounces Racist Slur Included in Animated Video on MP Website
- David Anderson would seem to have a lot of free time
- Saskatchewan Conservative MP David Anderson's Wheat Board Video: 'You're Talking Eskimo'
- 'Talking Eskimo' wheat board video sparks controversy
- Official site for David Anderson
- How'd They Vote?: David Anderson's voting history and quotes
- David Anderson (Saskatchewan politician) – Parliament of Canada biography