David Lascelles, 8th Earl of Harewood
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|The Right Honourable
The Earl of Harewood
|Earl of Harewood|
11 July 2011
|Preceded by||George Lascelles|
21 October 1950 |
Paddington, London, England, United Kingdom
|Spouse(s)||Margaret Rosalind Messenger (m. 1979–1989)
Diane Jane Howse (m. 1990–present)
|Children||Emily Shard, Benjamin Lascelles, Alexander Lascelles, Edward Lascelles|
|Parents||George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood
David Henry George Lascelles, 8th Earl of Harewood (born 21 October 1950), is a British hereditary peer and film and television producer. He is in line to the British throne. From his birth in 1950 until he succeeded his father in July 2011, he was known by the courtesy title Viscount Lascelles. He is the first cousin, once removed of Queen Elizabeth II, and the great-grandson of King George V.
Lord Harewood was born at his parents' London house, 2 Orme Square, Bayswater, London, the eldest son of the 7th Earl of Harewood and his first wife, Marion Stein. He was baptised at All Saints' Church, Harewood. His father was first cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. His godparents were Elizabeth II (then HRH The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh), his great-grandmother Queen Mary, The Viscountess Boyne, Benjamin Britten and his uncle The Hon. Gerald Lascelles.
On 12 February 1979 at St. Mary's Church, Paddington, London, he married Margaret Rosalind Messenger (born 15 April 1948 in Cheltenham), daughter of Edgar Frank Messenger and Margaret Alice Black: they were divorced in 1989. At one time, she was employed as a laboratory assistant at the University of Bristol. On 11 March 1990, he married Diane Jane Howse (born 9 November 1956 in Leafield). His children are:
- The Lady Emily Tsering Shard (born 23 November 1975 in Bath), obtained Royal Consent to marry from the Privy Council on 12 February 2008. She married Matthew Shard. Lady Emily and her husband are the parents of twins, Isaac and Ida (born 2009), and another son (born 2011).
- The Hon. Benjamin George Lascelles (born 19 September 1978 in Bath), a conservationist, obtained Royal Consent to marry from the Privy Council. He married Colombian Carolina Vélez Robledo on 18 April 2009 at Harewood House. The couple have a son, Mateo, born in 2013.
- Alexander Edgar Lascelles, Viscount Lascelles (born 13 May 1980 in Bath). He is heir-apparent to the earldom and he has a son, Leo Cyrus Anthony Lascelles, by his girlfriend Laleh Yeganegy (born 1980).
- The Hon. Edward David Lascelles (born 19 November 1982 in Bath). Edward Lascelles, obtained royal consent to marry his long term girlfriend, Sophie Cartlidge on the 2nd of August 2014.
- Viscount Lascelles (21 October 1950 – 11 July 2011)
- The Rt. Hon. The Earl of Harewood (11 July 2011 – )
|Ancestors of David Lascelles, 8th Earl of Harewood|
- RootsAndLeaves.com, Genealogy and Family History – Lascelles (Harewood) Family
- thePeerage.com, Person Page – 10159
|Line of succession to the British throne
grandson Mary, daughter of George V
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Earl of Harewood
11 July 2011 – present