|Chairman of the UK Independence Party|
5 October 2002 – September 2004
|Preceded by||Mike Nattrass|
|Succeeded by||Petrina Holdsworth|
|Political party||UK Independence Party|
David Lott is a British former politician, best known as a political organiser for the UK Independence Party (UKIP).
Lott worked in the air force, then as a pilot for Britannia Airways. He retired at the age of 53, intending to spend his time hunting, but instead joined the fledgling UK Independence Party in 1994. He stood for the party in Northumbria at the European election, 1994, taking 4.2% of the votes cast. After the election, he spent much of his time working for the party, touring the country, organising local branches. He also stood in Hexham at the UK general election, 1997, where he took 2.5% of the vote.
In 1997, Lott was a prime mover in ousting Alan Sked as UKIP party leader. However, he resigned from the party's NEC soon after the appointment of Michael Holmes as Sked's successor. After working on Peter Davies's campaign in the Yorkshire South by-election in 1998, Lott spent a year touring the United States, then went on to Australia, before return to lead the party's campaign at the European election, 1999. The following year, he organised the EGM which saw Holmes deposed as party leader.
At the 2001 UK general election, Lott stood in the Isle of Wight, where he took 3.3% of the vote. From 2002 to 2004, he served as the party chairman, and he was third on the party's South East England list for the European election, 2004. He ran the party's 2005 UK general election campaign, then became the party's Brussels team leader.
- Mark Daniel, Cranks and Gadflies, p.24
- Mark Daniel, Cranks and Gadflies, p.25
- United Kingdom European Parliament Election results 1979-99: England: Part 2
- Mark Daniel, Cranks and Gadflies, pp.53, 58
- Mark Daniel, Cranks and Gadflies, p.72
- "BBC News - Results and Constituencies - Isle of Wight". www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2008-10-27.
- "We Want Our Country Back", UK Independence News #59, p.2
- "Message from the Party Leader", Independence #62, p.2
|Party political offices|
|Chairman of the UK Independence Party