David McSweeney (politician)
|Member of the Illinois House of Representatives
from the 52nd district
|Preceded by||Kent Gaffney|
|Born||Park Ridge, Illinois|
|Alma mater||Duke University|
David McSweeney is a Republican politician and investment specialist from Barrington Hills, Illinois.
Early life, education and career
McSweeney was born in Park Ridge, Illinois and attended Barrington High School (Lake County, Illinois). He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics from Duke University in 1987 and a master of business administration degree from the Fuqua School of Business in 1988. He has worked as an investment banker, financial consultant and currently as an investment specialist, working for Banc of America Securities until April 2005. He claims a net worth in the millions.
In 1998, McSweeney challenged incumbent Republican Phil Crane in the Republican primary for the 8th Congressional District in the United States House of Representatives elections, 1998. McSweeney lost by a large margin, with 34.53% of the votes vs. Crane's 65.47%.
He was the Republican nominee in Illinois's 8th congressional district election, 2006. He won in a crowded six-way primary but lost to Melissa Bean in the general election.
In 2012 McSweeney was elected to the Illinois State Legislature, representing the 52nd Illinois State House District. McSweeney won the Republican nomination over incumbent Kent Gaffney, who had been appointed to the seat after the death of longtime incumbent Mark Beaubien.  In the general election, McSweeney defeated Beaubien's widow, Dee Beaubien, who ran as an Independent. No Democrat filed for the seat.
McSweeney considers himself a strong conservative in both the fiscal and social sense. He opposes abortion, gay marriage, embryonic stem cell research, and illegal immigration. He has been endorsed by the Illinois Federation for Right to Life. McSweeney clarified his pro-life position in 2005 during an interview on the Public Affairs with Jeff Berkowitz. "Jeff, I haven't changed my position... I strongly believe that we need to eliminate abortions in this county." He outlined his platform as "A Common Sense Conservative Platform". He supports the "War on Terror", freezing the size of the United States Government and cutting unnecessary government programs. McSweeney claims his Lutheran faith shapes his political beliefs.
- Savodnik, Peter. "McSweeney intent on beating Bean in '06". The Hill. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- 1998 FEC elections results
- "McSweeney wins three-way 52nd House District primary". Daily Herald. 21 March 2012. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- "McSweeney takes on Cong. Bean on TV in the 8th CD". 30 August 2005. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- "Dave McSweeney [R-8th CD candidate] on Social Issues". May 30, 2005. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- Representative David McSweeney (R) 52nd District at the Illinois General Assembly
- Illinois States Representative David McSweeney constituency site
- David McSweeney for State Representative
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission
- Campaign finance (2006 Illinois District 08) at Open Secrets
- 2012 Candidate questionnaire at The Chicago Tribune
- 2012 Candidate questionnaire at The Daily Herald
- 2012 Candidate questionnaire at the Northwest Herald