||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010)|
David Moody (born 19 November 1970 in Birmingham) is an English horror writer. He first came to public attention with his book Autumn, published freely on-line in 2001. Autumn was made into a motion picture starring David Carradine and Dexter Fletcher which was released in 2009.
He worked as a bank manager and as operations manager for a number of financial institutions before giving up the day job to write about the end of the world for a living.
After leaving school and ending up working in a high street bank, Moody wrote Straight to You, which was published by a small UK publisher.
After writing Straight to You, he soon started work on Autumn, which became an on-line phenomenon, racking up more than half a million downloads and spawning a series of sequels. In 2005 he formed Infected Books, his own publishing house through which he independently published his books. He later published the novel Hater in July 2006. The novel was released in 2009 with Guillermo del Toro and Mark Johnson producing and J.A. Bayona directing.[clarification needed]
Within months of the Hater deal, the film rights to the first Autumn novel were sold to Renegade Motion Pictures in Canada. In November 2007, Moody sold Hater and its two planned sequels to Thomas Dunne Books, a division of St Martin's Press in the US. Subsidiary rights were subsequently sold to the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Poland, Italy, Russia and several other countries. In the summer of 2008, Thomas Dunne Books acquired the Autumn series and Moody shut down Infected Books, removing the previously free downloads from the Internet.
- Straight to You (1996 - republished 2014)
- Autumn (2001 - republished 2010)
- Autumn: The City (2003 - republished 2011)
- Autumn: Purification (2004 - republished 2011)
- Trust (2005 - republished 2012)
- Autumn: The Human Condition (2005 - republished 2013)
- Hater (2006)
- Dog Blood (Hater book 2 - 2010)
- Autumn: Disintegration (2011)
- Them or Us (Hater book 3 - 2011)
- Autumn: Aftermath (2012)
- "author of the HATER and AUTUMN books Official website for David Moody, author of horror and science-fiction novels including the AUTUMN and HATER series, optioned for film by Guillermo del Toro". David Moody. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
- Alison Flood. "How self-publishing came of age | Books". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
- Alison Flood. "Self-publishing stars | Books". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
- "Books David Moody - author of the HATER and AUTUMN books". Davidmoody.net. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
- Official website
- David Moody at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Official Autumn website - http://www.lastoftheliving.net/
- Story behind Autumn - Online Essay by David Moody