December 31, 1982 |
Ferrol, A Coruña
David Mouriz Dopico (born December 31, 1982 in Ferrol, Spain) is a professional wheelchair basketball player from Spain. A 2.5 point player, he was a member of the Spanish men's team that finished fifth at the 2012 Summer Paralympics, and third at the 2013 European Championships. He has played professionally in Spain's top division for Aldasa Amfiv de Vigo, FCBarcelona and Bilbao BSR.
The official selection for the 2012 Games team was made in late June 2012 by the Spanish Federation of Sports for the Physically Disabled. It came after a wheelchair basketball tournament in Worcester. Mouriz was one of two Galacians chosen for the squad, and one of twelve Galacians on the whole Spanish team. He arrived in Madrid for a national team training camp held at the High Performance Centre, Madrid ahead of the London Paralympics. He departed for London with the rest of the team to prepare for the Games on August 17. He and the rest of the team moved into the Paralympic Village on August 25. The London Games were his first.
Coached by Oscar Trigo, it was the first time the Spanish national team had qualified for the Paralympics in 16 years. His team finished fifth overall. He played in the game against Germany, where he scored three points. He averaged about 10 to 15 minutes of court time per game.
Competing for Spain at the 2013 IWBF European Championships, Mouriz won a bronze medal after defeating Sweden. He was third on the team in total scoring in the bronze medal game against Sweden with 9 points, while getting 2 rebounds and 3 assists.
Mouriz first played club wheelchair basketball for Aldasa Amfiv de Vigo in Spain's top level domestic wheelchair basketball competition. While he spent most of his playing career with Vigo, Mouriz and national team teammate Bernabe Costas de Miranda both left the team for two seasons to play for FCBarcelona before returning to Vigo. He was with the team during the 2011/2012 season. Following the London Games, he took a break from the sport for a few weeks. When that ended, he had a scheduled meeting with management for Vigo to discuss his future with the team. They were concerned that his Paralympic Games experience make him more monetarily valuable and require an increase in pay to keep him with the team that they might not have been able to afford.
For the 2012/2013, Mouriz ended up playing club wheelchair basketball for Bilbao BSR. He transferred to the team because he had a good relationship with national team teammate Asier Garcia Pereiro who plays for Bilbao and the coach, Javier Sandomingo. He trained away from the his new Bilbao teammates before the official start of the season. In a match for Bilbao against Getafe during the 2013 season, he set the pace for game while scoring 20 points for his team. In a game against Mideba Extremadura, he scored 26 points. In a game against ONCE, he scored 8 points in his team's loss.
- "JJ.PP. Londres 2012 — Portal del Consejo Superior de Deportes" (in Spanish). Csd.gob.es. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "David Mouriz, polivalencia para el Bilbao BSR" (in Spanish). Eldesmarquebizkaia.com. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Datos Biografía" (in Spanish). Paralimpicos.es. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "Los chicos del Amfiv mĂĄs cerca de Londres" (in Spanish). Vigo al minuto. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "Mouriz y Costas estarαn en Londres" (in Spanish). Faro de Vigo. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "Galicia tendrá doce deportistas en los Juegos Paralímpicos de Londres" (in Spanish). Terra.es. May 31, 2012. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "David Mouriz y BernabĂŠ Costas parten el viernes hacia Londres para participar en las Paralimpiadas" (in Spanish). Televigo.com. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- Gabriel Cao. "Del parqué de Bouzas a Londres" (in Spanish). Lavozdegalicia.es. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "El baloncesto en silla de Ruedas ha experimentado una evolución espectacular" (in Spanish). Diario La Comarca de Puertollano. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "Lo Ăşltimo de lo Ăşltimo — Jaume LlambĂ Riera, jugador de la selecciĂłn espaĂąola de baloncesto nos habla de los obstĂĄculos diarios que encuentra en Madrid — Entrevistas y Reportajes" (in Spanish). Loultimodeloultimo.com. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Página Oficial del Comité Paralímpico Español" (in Spanish). Paralimpicos.es. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "67-48. España gana a Alemania y acaba quinta en Londres" (in Spanish). lainformacion.com. September 8, 2012. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "AD | Noticia | Bernabé Costas: 'Es como si hubiéramos ganado el bronce'" (in Spanish). Atlantico.net. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "España, bronce en el Europeo de baloncesto en silla de ruedas" (in Spanish). 20minutos.es. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "España comienza con victoria el Europeo de silla de ruedas de Alemania" (in Spanish). MARCA.com. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- "AD | Noticia | El Amfiv leva anclas" (in Spanish). Atlantico.net. 2013-10-25. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Bernabe Costas y David Mouriz representarán al Amfiv en los Juegos de Londres 2012" (in Spanish). Cdamfiv.com. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "El Amfiv, que este lunes inicia la pretemporada, consigue renovar a BernabĂŠ Costas" (in Spanish). dxtadaptado.com. September 23, 2012. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "El Amfiv, a despejar la incógnita — Faro de Vigo" (in Spanish). Farodevigo.es. 2013-10-26. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "El Bidaideak SR pasa por encima del Getafe (73-57)" (in Spanish). Eldesmarquebizkaia.com. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "El Mideba sigue fuerte en casa." (in Spanish). Hoy.es. 2013-11-10. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "El Bidaideak se queda a un paso de la remontada en la cancha del Mideba (67-65)" (in Spanish). Eldesmarquebizkaia.com. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "El Bidaideak BSR no puede con el poderío del campeón Fundosa (69-40)" (in Spanish). Eldesmarquebizkaia.com. Retrieved 2013-11-22.