David Myers (academic)
David G. Myers (born 1942) is a professor of psychology at Hope College in Michigan, United States, and the author of 17 books, including popular textbooks entitled Psychology, Exploring Psychology, Social Psychology and several general-audience books dealing with issues related to Christian faith as well as scientific psychology.
Myers is a Seattle native, but resides in Holland, Michigan. He was born on September 20, 1942, in Seattle, Washington. He married his wife, Carol Peterkin Myers, while they were both still undergraduates attending Whitworth University. They have three grown children, sons Peter and Andrew and a daughter, Laura.
David G. Myers graduated from Seattle's Queen Anne High School in 1960, and soon after attended Whitworth University. Myers graduated with a B.A. in Chemistry in 1964, having been a pre-med student. Myers graduate work went in a different direction, social psychology. He received his M.A. in Social Psychology in 1966 and his Ph.D. in Social Psychology the following year at the University of Iowa.
David G. Myers spent much of his career teaching at Hope College. He worked as an assistant professor (1967), an associate professor (1970), and since 1975, full professor. He served as a visiting scholar at the Universität Mannheim (Germany), in the summer of 1974, and at the University of St. Andrews (Scotland), in 1985.
Fellowships: 1964–1965: U.S. Public Health Service Traineeship in Social Psychology 1965–1967: National Science Foundation Cooperative Graduate Fellowship 1967–1968: National Science Foundation Teaching Intern, Hope College
Fellow, American Psychological Association, 1979
Fellow, American Psychological Society, 1989
Fellow, American Association of Applied and Preventive Psychology, 1992
|This article lacks ISBNs for the books listed in it. (May 2011)|
- Social Psychology (5th Canadian edition, 2012)
- Psychology (10th edition, 2013)
- Exploring Psychology (8th edition, 2011)
- Psychology in Everyday Life (1st edition, 2009)
- Social Psychology (10th edition, 2010)
- Exploring Social Psychology (5th edition, 2009)
- Psychology Through the Eyes of Faith (2002)
- The Pursuit of Happiness: Who Is Happy--and Why (1992)
- A Quiet World: Living with Hearing Loss (2000)
- The American Paradox: Spiritual Hunger in an Age of Plenty (2000)
- Psychology Through the Eyes of Faith (2002) with Malcolm A. Jeeves
- Intuition: Its Powers and Perils (2002)
- What God Has Joined Together: The Christian Case for Gay Marriage (with Letha Dawson Scanzoni, 2005)
- A Friendly Letter to Skeptics and Atheists: Musings on Why God is Good and Faith isn't Evil (2008)
- David G. Myers's web site
- Defining Wisdom: A Project of The University of Chicago Arete Initiative
- A Science of Virtues: A Project of The University of Chicago Arete Initiative