David Orban is a Hungarian entrepreneur, visionary, and analyst of the global high technology landscape. He was born in Budapest in 1965.
Currently, Orban is Chief Executive Officer of Dotsub, a US-based technology platform and services company that powers captions and translations as subtitles in any language in online videos to remove barriers to multi-cultural communications.
Orban was a founder and previously Chief Evangelist of WideTag, Inc., the OpenSpime technology company, providing the infrastructure for an open Internet of Things. Active in virtual worlds as well, he was the founder of Vulcano, one of the first and most active Italian communities in Second Life.
Together with Tim O'Reilly, Lawrence Lessig, and others, Orban is one of the founders of the Open Government Working Group, which developed a set of principles of open government data in December 2007. Orban spoke at the Italian Parliament about open government data policies in December 2008, calling for a wider adoption of transparent policies, and accountability, criticizing current legislation about freedom of information.
He is also an Advisor and member of the Faculty of the Singularity University, the founder and director of the Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence Europe, and former Chairman, and a Director of Humanity+.
Orban is a frequent speaker at conferences such as talks at the Web2.0 Expo in Berlin, the Emerging Technology Conference in San Diego, PICNIC in Amsterdam, Virtual Worlds Conference (now Engage! Expo) in Los Angeles, SHIFT in Lisbon, Mobile Monday in Amsterdam. On July 28, 2009 he held a public lecture entitled "Internet Of Things - Spime Design Workshop" at the Singularity University's inaugural Graduate Studies Program. He studied physics at the University of Padua and University of Milan.
- "David Orban appointed as dotSUB Chief Executive, TheStartupEU, March 2011".
- "Straight to Video, Fast Company, Feb. 2008".
- Zetter, Kim (13 May 2009). "TED Crowdsources Translation of Its Talks, Wired, May 2009".
- "Open Translation Project: 15,000 translations & counting!, TED blog, Feb. 2011".
- "Italian Valley: L’internet delle cose, Wired Italia, May 2008".
- "Spimes, IT Conversations interview by Phil Windley, 12 March 2008".
- The island of freedom, 2L Italia World, July 2007
- This is Italy in Second Life", Metro, 30 May 2007
- "Parlamento 7 in condotta: chi è "abilitato" a legiferare su Internet?".
- The explosion of too intelligent machines" by Emil Abirascid, Il Sole 24 Ore, 18 October 2007
- Intelligence: 2011, the machines will beat us", Focus, March 2008
- "Humanity+ - New members of the Board Of Directors".
- "SU Presents David Orban and "The Internet of Things"".