David P. Gushee
Work and membership
A self-described Evangelical centrist, David P. Gusgee is the Distinguished University Professor of Christian Ethics and Executive Director of the Center for Faith and Public Life at Mercer University. He was formerly the Graves Professor of Moral Philosophy and the Senior Fellow of the Carl F. H. Henry Center for Christian Leadership at Union University in Jackson, Tennessee.
Gushee has served as president of Evangelicals for Human Rights, an organization advocating for an end to torture, especially that sponsored by the United States government; this organization has since become the New Evangelical Partnership for the Common Good. He is also a columnist for Christianity Today and the Associated Baptist Press. Gushee has also served on The Constitution Project's Guantanamo Task Force since December 2010. He helped draft the Evangelical Climate Initiative's Call to Action. He serves on the Sojourners board of directors.
Scholarship and Recognition
Gushee is an internationally recognized Holocaust scholar and ethicist. He was appointed in 2008 by the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum to serve as a member of the Church Relations and the Holocaust Committee. He is the author of approximately 70 articles, chapters and reviews and has written or edited nine books. Gushee was ordained at Walnut Hills Baptist Church in Williamsburg, Virginia in 1987.
His book Kingdom Ethics: Following Jesus in Contemporary Context was Christianity Today's Theology/Ethics Book of the Year for 2004. He has also received the Evangelical Press Association's Christian Journalism Award for 1991, 1992 and 1997.
Gushee received his Ph.D. in Christian ethics from Union Theological Seminary in 1993, having earned his M.Phil. from Union Theological Seminary in 1990. Gushee earned his M.Div. from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1987. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a B.A. from the College of William and Mary in 1984.
- The Sacredness of Human Life: Why an Ancient Biblical Vision Is Key to the World's Future. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. 2013. ISBN 978-0-8028-4420-0.
- The Future of Faith in American Politics: The Public Witness of the Evangelical Center. Waco, TX: Baylor University Press. 2008.
- Only Human: Christian Reflections on the Journey Toward Wholeness. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. 2005.
- Getting Marriage Right: Realistic Counsel for Saving and Strengthening Marriages. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker. 2004.
- Righteous Gentiles of the Holocaust: Genocide and Moral Obligation (2nd ed.). Minneapolis, MN: Paragon House. 2003.
- with; Glen Stassen (2003). Kingdom Ethics: Following Jesus in Contemporary Context. Downers Grove, IL: Intervarsity Press.
- Ed. (2000). Christians and Politics Beyond the Culture Wars: From Despair to Mission. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker.
- Ed. (1999). Toward a Just and Caring Society: Christian Responses to Poverty in America. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker.
- Ed. with; David S. Dockery (1999). The Future of Christian Higher Education. Broadman & Holman.
- with; Robert H. Long (1998). A Bolder Pulpit: Reclaiming the Moral Dimension of Preaching. Valley Forge, PA: Judson Press.
- Ed. with; Walter Jackson (1996). Preparing for Christian Ministry: An Evangelical Approach. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker.
- The Righteous Gentiles of the Holocaust: A Christian Interpretation. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress. 1994.
- David P. Gushee, The Future of Faith in American Politics: The Public Witness of the Evangelical Center, Baylor University Press, 2008.
- "Task Force on Detainee Treatment Launched". The Constitution Project. 2010-12-17. Archived from the original on 2010-12-18.
- "Think tank plans study of how US treats detainees". Wall Street Journal. 2010-12-17. Archived from the original on 2010-12-18. "Former FBI Director William Sessions, former Arkansas U.S. Rep. Asa Hutchinson, a retired Army general and a retired appeals court judge in Washington are among 11 people selected for a task force that will meet for the first time in early January, said Virginia Sloan, a lawyer and president of The Constitution Project."
- "Task Force members". The Constitution Project. 2010-12-17. Archived from the original on 2010-12-18.
- Lampman, Jane (March 12, 2008). "Southern Baptist leaders urge climate change action". Christian Science Monitor.
- "Committee on Church Relations and the Holocaust web page". Retrieved 10-08-2009.
- "David P. Gushee Bio". Retrieved 10-08-2009.