- For the American politician with a similar name, see David Pepper Jr.
Pepper gained a doctorate in theoretical physics from St John's College, Oxford. He joined GCHQ in 1972, and worked in intelligence operations. In 1995 he became Director of Administration. In 1998, he transferred to the Home Office, returning to Cheltenham in 2000 as Director of Finance, and taking over the role of Director in April 2003 as successor to Sir Francis Richards. He was knighted as a KCMG in 2005. He was succeeded by Iain Lobban in July 2008. Following his retirement from GCHQ, Pepper became a non-executive director of Gloucestershire County Council.
- Aldrich, Richard, GCHQ, Harper Press, 2010, ISBN 978-0-00-727847-3, p.526
- GCHQ press release on Pepper's knighthood
- GCHQ Press Release - New director of GCHQ appointed
- GCHQ boss joins County Council
Sir Francis Richards
|Director of GCHQ
April 2003 - July 2008