||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
David Phelps, left
|Birth name||David Norris Phelps|
October 21, 1969 |
Texas, United States
|Genres||Southern gospel, Christian|
|Associated acts||The Gaither Vocal Band|
David Norris Phelps (born October 21, 1969) is an American Christian vocalist, songwriter and vocal arranger, who is best known for singing tenor in the Gaither Vocal Band. He has also released several solo albums, including four Christmas collections. On January 13, 2008, Phelps appeared on Extreme Makeover Home Edition for the Woodhouse family.
David Phelps was born in Texas, to Gene and Mary Ella Phelps. Gene is a former accountant/banker who currently teaches business and finance at a college in Houston. Mary Ella is a retired English Professor. He has two older sisters, Sherri Proctor (who sang backup vocals for him on tour, before dying from cancer in September 2012) and Kari Lee (a professional trumpeter who tours with the Chicago-based Millar Brass Ensemble).
Phelps grew up in Tomball, Texas near Houston and graduated from Tomball High School in 1988. He attended Baylor University, (where he directed the Baylor Religious Hour Choir) graduating in 1992 with a degree in music and vocal performance.
Phelps is a lyric tenor whose trademark is his large range, featuring an ability to sing in a high tessitura for sustained periods. Live recordings, whether by himself or with the Gaithers, indicate he has more than a three octave full voice range. In the first verse of "Just as I Am", from the album Revelation, Phelps sings an E2. This is attested by live performances. During a performance of "When God Dips His Love in My Heart", he ably sings an F5, full voice, and sustains it for a significant period of time. During his time with the Gaither Vocal Band, his high tessitura was employed often. He was introduced to Bill Gaither by Mark Lowry, who was (and is now again) the baritone in the group. Lowry brought Gaither a tape of Phelps. During a performance of "Let Freedom Ring" (originally recorded on their God Is Good CD), he ably sings an Db5 in full voice. In Studio his highest note ever is a C#6 the Soprano High C#6.
Phelps is once again, since approximately January 13, 2009, part of the Gaither Vocal Band. He is sharing the tenor part with Wes Hampton.
David's wife is Lori Purtle Phelps (also born on October 21, 1969); together the two have four children: Callie Noelle (born 1995), Maggie Beth (born 1997), David Grant (born 2000) and Coby Daniel (born 2004). Callie, Maggie Beth and Grant can be seen on the Gaither Homecoming videos Christmas in the Country and A Time for Joy. The Phelps Family currently resides south of Nashville, Tennessee.
|Record Label||Record Producer|
|1994||Journey to Grace|
|2000||Joy, Joy||Springhill Music|
|2001||David Phelps||Phil Naish|
|2004||Revelation||7||Word||Regie Hamm, Chris Harris[disambiguation needed]|
|2005||Life is a Church||9||Greg Bieck|
|2006||Legacy of Love: David Phelps Live!||28|
|2007||No More Night: Live in Birmingham||Jim Chaffee, Rudy Landa|
|2007||One Wintry Night||23||Monroe Jones|
|2008||The Voice||15||Monroe Jones|
|2008||O Holy Night [LIVE]||4|
|2010||Christmas With David Phelps [LIVE]|
- 2009: The Best of David Phelps (Word)
With the Gaither Vocal Band
- 1998: Still the Greatest Story Ever Told
- 1999: God Is Good
- 2001: I Do Believe
- 2002: Everything Good
- 2003: A Capella (producer/arranger)
- 2004: Best of the Gaither Vocal Band
- 2009: Reunion Vol. 1 & 2 (LIVE)
- 2009: Reunited
- 2010: Better Day [LIVE]
- 2010: Greatly Blessed
- 2011: I Am a Promise
- 2012: Pure and Simple
Appearances on other albums
- 1998: In My Life, Larry Gatlin (Spring House) (background)
- 1999: Within Old Pages, Walt Mills (Homeland Records) (background)
- 2000: Lordsong, Lordsong (Daywind) "Trial of the Heart" (background)
- 2001: Lauren Talley, Lauren Talley (Horizon) "The Prayer" (duet)
- 2001: Mark Lowry On Broadway (Spring Hill) "A Whole New World" (duet with Sandi Patty)
- 2001: Pursuing His Presence, The God Chasers (Spring Hill) "Completely Yours" (solo)
- 2006: The Nativity Story: Sacred Songs, Various (Watertower Music) "The Virgin's Lullaby" (Background)
- 2008: Wait - 10th Anniversary Edition, Lana Ranahan "Then Came The Morning" (duet) and "I've Just Seen Jesus" (duet)
- 2009: Let Go, Sheila Walsh (Spring Hill) "The Prayer" (duet)
- 2009: In All I Do, Paid In Full, "Because I Love Him" (solo)
- 2010: Love Will Find A Way, Steve Green, "God Is Love" (background)
- 2012: Hands Of Time, Anthony Burger, "What A Savior Medley" (background)
- 2006: Legacy of Love [LIVE]
- 2007: No More Night: David Phelps Live in Birmingham
- 2008: O Holy Night
- 2010: Christmas With David Phelps
- 2012: Classic (Gaither Gospel Series)
With the Gaither Vocal Band
- 1998: Hawaiian Homecoming
- 2001: I Do Believe
- 2003: Australian Homecoming
- 2009: Reunion Volumes 1 & 2
- 2010: Reunited
- 2010: Better Day
Gaither Homecoming Video featured performances
- 1998: Kennedy Center Homecoming "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"
- 1998: All Day Singin' at the Dome "I'll Fly Away"
- 1998: Atlanta Homecoming "What a Meeting in the Air", "Jesus Saves"
- 2000: Good News "I'm Free", "What A Meeting in the Air"
- 2001: A Billy Graham Music Homecoming - Volume 2 "It is Well with My Soul"
- 2001: Mark Lowry On Broadway "A Whole New World"
- 2002: Freedom Band "Worthy the Lamb"
- 2002: I'll Fly Away "I'll Fly Away", "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross"
- 2002: God Bless America "The End of the Beginning", "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"
- 2003: Heaven "No More Night", "What a Day That Will Be"
- 2004: A Tribute to Jake Hess "Sweeter as the Days Go By"
- 2004: Passin' the Faith Along "I Can't Even Walk"
- 2005: So Glad "Bein' Happy"
- 2006: Harmony in the Heartland "The Lifeboat"
- 2007: How Great Thou Art "There is a Fountain Filled with Blood"
- 2008: Rock of Ages "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross"
- 2011: The Best of David Phelps
- 2011: Alaskan Homecoming "America, the Beautiful"
- 2011: Majesty "His Eye Is On The Sparrow"