David Phelps (musician)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
|Birth name||David Norris Phelps|
October 21, 1969 |
Texas, United States
|Genres||Southern gospel, Christian|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, singer, songwriter|
|Associated acts||Gaither Vocal Band|
David Norris Phelps (born October 21, 1969) is an American Christian music vocalist, songwriter and vocal arranger, who is best known for singing tenor in the Gaither Vocal Band. He has also released several solo albums, including four Christmas collections. On January 13, 2008, Phelps appeared on Extreme Makeover Home Edition for the Woodhouse family.
David Phelps was born in Texas, to Gene and Mary Ella Phelps. Gene is a former accountant/banker who currently teaches business and finance at a college in Houston. Mary Ella is a retired English Professor. He has two older sisters, Sherri Proctor (who sang backup vocals for him on tour, before dying from cancer in September 2012) and Kari Lee (a professional trumpeter who tours with the Chicago-based Millar Brass Ensemble).
Phelps grew up in Tomball, Texas near Houston and graduated from Tomball High School in 1988. He attended Baylor University, (where he directed the Baylor Religious Hour Choir) graduating in 1992 with a degree in music and vocal performance.
Phelps is a lyric tenor whose trademark is his large range, featuring an ability to sing in a high tessitura for sustained periods. Live recordings, whether by himself or with the Gaithers, indicate he has more than a three octave full voice range. In the first verse of "Just as I Am", from the album Revelation, Phelps sings an E2. This is attested by live performances. During a performance of "When God Dips His Love in My Heart", he ably sings an F5, full voice, and sustains it for a significant period of time. During his time with the Gaither Vocal Band, his high tessitura was employed often. He was introduced to Bill Gaither by Mark Lowry, who was, the baritone in the group. Lowry brought Gaither a tape of Phelps. During a live performance of "Child you're forgiven" (originally recorded in the album "God is Good") he sings a D5, and holds it with ease and significant strength. It used to be believed that he has sung a C#6 in studio, however, in an interview he claimed it to be untrue.
Phelps is once again, since approximately January 13, 2009, part of the Gaither Vocal Band. He is sharing the tenor part with Wes Hampton.
David's wife is Lori Purtle Phelps (also born on October 21, 1969). They have four children: Callie, Maggie Beth, David Grant and Coby. Callie, Maggie and Grant can be seen on the Gaither Homecoming videos Christmas in the Country and A Time for Joy. The whole family is featured on the video, The Best of David Phelps from the Homecoming Series. All four children sing on the Classic video, as well.
|Record label||Record producer|
|1994||Journey to Grace|
|2000||Joy, Joy||Spring Hill||Matt Huesmann, David Phelps|
|2001||David Phelps||Phil Naish|
|2004||Revelation||7||Word||Regie Hamm, Christopher D. Harris|
|2005||Life is a Church||9||Greg Bieck|
|2006||Legacy of Love: David Phelps Live!||28||Phelps, Jim Chaffee|
|2007||No More Night: Live in Birmingham||Phelps|
|One Wintry Night||23||Monroe Jones, Phelps|
|2008||The Voice||15||Monroe Jones|
|O Holy Night [LIVE]||4||Phelps, Jim Chaffee, Jimmy Abegg, Ben Pearson|
|2010||Christmas With David Phelps [LIVE]||Spring House||Phelps|
|2012||Classic||5||Spring House||Phelps, Bill Gaither|
- 2006: The Power Of The Dream
- 2007: There Is A Fountain
- 2009: The Best of David Phelps (Word)
- 2010: Top 10 (Word)
With the Gaither Vocal Band
- 1998: Still the Greatest Story Ever Told
- 1999: God Is Good
- 2001: I Do Believe
- 2002: Everything Good
- 2003: A Capella (producer/arranger)
- 2004: Best of the Gaither Vocal Band
- 2009: Reunion Vol. 1 & 2 (LIVE)
- 2009: Reunited
- 2010: Better Day (LIVE)
- 2010: Greatly Blessed
- 2011: I Am a Promise
- 2012: Pure and Simple
- 2014: Hymns
- 2014: The New Edition
- 2014: Sometimes It Takes A Mountain
Appearances on other albums
- 1998: In My Life Larry Gatlin (Spring House) (background)
- 1999: Within Old Pages Walt Mills (Homeland Records) (background)
- 2000: Lordsong Lordsong (Daywind); "Trial of the Heart" (background)
- 2001: Lauren Talley Lauren Talley (Horizon); "The Prayer" (duet)
- 2001: Mark Lowry On Broadway (Spring Hill); "A Whole New World" (duet with Sandi Patty)
- 2001: Pursuing His Presence The God Chasers (Spring Hill); "Completely Yours" (solo)
- 2002: Homecoming Lullabies Gaither Gospel Series; "Last Boat to Dreamland," (with GVB – background), "I Spy" (solo)
- 2006: The Nativity Story: Sacred Songs Various (Watertower Music); "The Virgin's Lullaby" (Background)
- 2008: Wait – 10th Anniversary Edition Lana Ranahan; "Then Came The Morning" (duet) and "I've Just Seen Jesus" (duet)
- 2009: Let Go Sheila Walsh (Spring Hill), "The Prayer" (duet)
- 2009: In All I Do Paid In Full; "Because I Love Him" (solo)
- 2010: Love Will Find A Way Steve Green; "God Is Love" (background)
- 2012: Hands Of Time Anthony Burger; "What A Savior Medley" (background)
- 2012: Windows In The World Charlotte Ritchie; "After The Last Tear Falls" (background)
- 2013: Some People Change Michael English; "I Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey" (background)
- 2014: Reality Wes Hampton; "Echo of You" (trio/solo), "My Father's House" (background)
- 2006: Legacy of Love [LIVE]
- 2007: No More Night: David Phelps Live in Birmingham
- 2008: O Holy Night
- 2010: Christmas With David Phelps
- 2012: Classic (Gaither Gospel Series)
With the Gaither Vocal Band
- 1998: Hawaiian Homecoming
- 2001: I Do Believe
- 2003: Australian Homecoming
- 2009: Reunion Volumes 1 & 2
- 2010: Reunited
- 2010: Better Day
- 2012: Pure and Simple Volumes 1 & 2
Gaither Homecoming Video featured performances
- 1998: Kennedy Center Homecoming; "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"
- 1998: All Day Singin' at the Dome; "I'll Fly Away"
- 1998: Atlanta Homecoming; "What a Meeting in the Air", "Jesus Saves"
- 1998: Journey to the Sky; "O Love That Will Not Let Me Go"
- 1998: Passin' the Faith Along; "I Can't Even Walk"
- 1999: Sweet Sweet Spirit; "The Love of God"
- 1999: So Glad; "The Lifeboat"
- 2000: Christmas in the Country; "O Holy Night", "The Christmas Song", "Jingle Bells"
- 2000: Good News; "I'm Free", "What A Meeting in the Air"
- 2000: Irish Homecoming; "This Could Be the Dawning of that Day"
- 2000: Whispering Hope; "The Lifeboat", "When God Dips His Love in My Heart"
- 2000: Harmony in the Heartland; "A House of Gold", "Oh, What a Time"
- 2000: Memphis Homecoming; "Searchin'", "Build an Ark", "God is Good All the Time"
- 2001: A Billy Graham Music Homecoming – Volume 2; "The Love of God", "It is Well with My Soul"
- 2001: Mark Lowry On Broadway; "A Whole New World" (duet with Sandi Patty)
- 2002: Freedom Band; "Worthy the Lamb"
- 2002: I'll Fly Away; "I'll Fly Away", "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross"
- 2002: God Bless America; "End of the Beginning", "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"
- 2003: Heaven; "No More Night", "What a Day That Will Be"
- 2003: Rocky Mountain Homecoming; "These are They"
- 2003: Australian Homecoming; "Let the Glory Come Down"
- 2004: We Will Stand; "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross", "Sweeter As the Days Go By"
- 2005: Jerusalem; "It Is Well with My Soul", "These are They", "Second Fiddle"
- 2007: How Great Thou Art; "There Is a Fountain Filled with Blood"
- 2008: Rock of Ages; "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross"
- 2008: Count Your Blessings; "You Are My All in All"
- 2010: Giving Thanks; "I Will Sing of My Redeemer"
- 2011: The Best of David Phelps from the Homecoming Series
- 2011: Alaskan Homecoming; "America, the Beautiful", "Clean", "These are They"
- 2011: Majesty; "His Eye Is On The Sparrow"
- 2011: Tent Revival Homecoming; "I Stand Amazed," "He's Alive"
- 2012: Pure and Simple: "Glorious Freedom", "Come to Jesus"