David Price (musician)
Early life and education
David Price studied organ at Trinity College of Music, graduating in 1991. He was also organ scholar at Croydon Parish Church. During his last year at Trinity, he was organ scholar at Rochester Cathedral under Barry Ferguson. Upon graduating, he became Assistant Organist of Ely Cathedral, succeeding Jeremy Filsell (who had been appointed Director of Music at St Luke's Church, Chelsea).
Price started at Ely Cathedral in September 1991, under Paul Trepte. A recording of Amner's choral music is among four CDs recorded while Price was at Ely. He also helped to re-establish and direct the Ely Consort, in 1994. Price was appointed Organist and Master of the Choristers at Portsmouth Cathedral in 1996, following Adrian Lucas's appointment at Worcester Cathedral.
Price's tenure has seen a number of major changes to the Music Department: the number of sung services has been increased, a girls' choir, called "Cantate", was established in 2006, and a gap year scheme for choral scholars has been introduced, in partnership with The Portsmouth Grammar School. Price has also overseen the installation of the West Great organ in 2001 and a chamber organ in 2007. In addition, the choir have moved from the Song School in the north cloister of the cathedral to a new suite in Cathedral House opposite.
During his tenth year in Portsmouth in 2007, Price was awarded an honorary doctorate in music by the University of Portsmouth in recognition of his contribution to the musical life of the city, which has included not only work in the daily cathedral services, but also special civic and national events, university graduations and the Portsmouth Festivities.
Price was made an honorary fellow of the Academy of Saint Cecilia for his contribution to the performance of early music through his work at Portsmouth. In 2013, he was elected an Honorary Fellow of the Guild of Church Musicians at a ceremony in Canterbury Cathedral.
- 2014 - Plainsong: The Echo Of Angels, with Oliver Hancock (organ), William Wallace (organ), Anna Wynne (harp), Portsmouth Cathedral Choir and Cantate, for Convivium Records
- 2013 - The Choral Music of June Clark: To Sing Thy Love, with William Drakett (organ and piano), Portsmouth Cathedral Choir and Cantate, for Convivium Records
- 2012 - Baltic Exchange: Music For Seafarers, with Marcus Wibberley (organ), Portsmouth Cathedral Choir, Cantate and the Convivium Singers, for Convivium Records
- 2010 - In Your Image: Carols For Christmastide, with Marcus Wibberley (organ) and Portsmouth Cathedral Choir, for Convivium Records
- 2009 - Valete in Pace, with Andrew Parrott, Mark le Brocq (tenor), Britten Sinfonia, Portsmouth Cathedral Choir and the Choir of Clare College Cambridge, for Smudged Discs
- 2009 - Sing to the Lord, with Andrew Cleary, Marcus Wibberley (organ), Portsmouth Cathedral Choir and Cantate, for Convivium Records
- 2004 - Portsmouth Remembers, with Anthony Froggatt, David Thorne (organ), Rosemary Field (organ) and Portsmouth Cathedral Choir, for Guild Music
- 2001 - The Nicholson organs in Portsmouth Cathedral, for Herald AV Publications
- 2000 - I look from afar: A Sequence for Christmas, with Rosemary Field (organ) and Portsmouth Cathedral Choir, for Herald AV Publications
- 1999 - The State Funeral of Horatio, Lord Viscount Nelson, K.B., with David Thorne (organ) and Portsmouth Cathedral Choir, for Herald AV Publications
- 1998 - Magnificat & Nunc Dimittis Vol 14, with Paul Trepte and Ely Cathedral Choir, for Priory Records
- 1997 - Lord of all hopefulness: Hymns from Portsmouth Cathedral, with David Thorne (organ) and Portsmouth Cathedral Choir, for Herald AV Publications
- 1995 - Cathedral Music by Amner, with Paul Trepte and Ely Cathedral Choir, for Hyperion Records
- 1995 - Carols From Many Lands, with Paul Trepte and Ely Cathedral Choir, for Priory Records
- 1993 - "Praise the Lord O my Soul": Psalms of David Vol 8, with Paul Trepte and Ely Cathedral Choir, for Priory Records
- "Choir History". The Choir of St. Luke's Church, Chelsea. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "Choir History". Ely Consort. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "Organist’s appointment cements cathedral links". King's Ely News. 5 April 2012.
- Blaikley, Marian (22 July 2006). "Keeping a low profile". Cathedral Music.
- "Church leaders given honours". Pompey Chimes. June 2007.
- "Honorary Members of the Academy". The Academy of Saint Cecilia. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Officers". Guild of Church Musicians. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
of Ely Cathedral
|Organist and Master of the Choristers
of Portsmouth Cathedral