David Reiss (fashion retailer)
David Reiss (born 1943 in London) is the current owner of the British global fashion chain Reiss, which originated from a store in Bishopsgate that David inherited from his father Joshua. The original store was started by David's granduncle Samuel Reiss (born 1903), who was an immigrant from a south-eastern Polish shtetl in Radomyśl Wielki. In London, David's grandfather's family became members of the orthodox Raleigh Close (Hendon United Synagogue).
David took over his father's gentlemen's outfitters on the corner of Bishopsgate and Petticoat Lane in the City of London, in 1971, when he was in his 20s. The brand is not a family-run business as such. Reiss's son is a director at HSBC, and his daughter works for the chain in the United States. David's eldest daughter was involved in the business for many years before leaving in her 30s to concentrate on her children. Reiss lives with his wife in Hempstead[disambiguation needed].
Today Reiss is the last big owner-founder entrepreneur left in British retail. Reiss has a target to open 260 stores around the world, including 100 franchise stores (the company has already signed a deal for 40 in Europe, the Far East and the Middle East), and 50 stand-alone stores in Europe and the United States. The debut in New York City proved a success, recouping the money Reiss invested in just one year, which made Reiss continue pursuing his international plans and in 2007 the retailer boasted eight more US stores, including stores in Boston, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles. Additional stores opened in Short Hills, New Jersey and Boca Raton, Florida.
- Melchett, Mike (27 March 2009). "Sam Reiss z”l, 1903-1995". melchett mike blog. Mike Melchett. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Pagano, Margareta (4 May 2008). "On the edge with the elusive Mr Reiss". The Independent on Sunday (Independent News and Media). Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Hall, James (30 July 2006). "Why Reiss is not for sale". Daily Telegraph (Telegraph Media Group). Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Thompson, James (30 August 2008). "David Reiss: Top retailer is well suited to the high street buzz". The Independent (Independent News and Media). Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Berwin, Lisa (25 October 2007). "Reiss goes global". Retail Week (Emap). Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Pallay, Jessica (29 May 2006). "David Reiss, founder of retail powerhouse Reiss". Daily News Record, archived at HighBeam (Fairchild Publications). Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Linden, Kerri (October 2007). "Reiss Finds Niche with Midrange, Urban Chic". Shopping Centers Today (ICSC). Retrieved 2009-08-22.