David Rodríguez Sánchez
|Full name||David Rodríguez Sánchez|
|Date of birth||14 February 1986|
|Place of birth||Talavera de la Reina, Spain|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2005||→ Ciudad Murcia (loan)||2||(0)|
|2006||→ Las Palmas (loan)||21||(1)|
|2008–2009||→ Celta (loan)||36||(8)|
|2012–2013||→ Sporting Gijón (loan)||37||(13)|
|2014||Brighton & Hove Albion||11||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22:00, 12 April 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
After leaving Atlético Madrid's youth academy, Rodríguez started professionally with Ciudad de Murcia in the second division. However, the lack of playing time for the Colchoneros' first team made him drop down to the third level in January 2006, as he moved to UD Las Palmas.
Such solid performances earned him a transfer to La Liga, moving for €400.000 to UD Almería. However, before 2008–09 began, he was loaned to Celta de Vigo, returning in the following summer to Andalusia.
Rodríguez made his top level debut on 30 August 2009, appearing in a 0–0 home draw against Real Valladolid. On 22 November, he scored after just five minutes on the pitch but Almería lost 1–3 at RCD Mallorca, and the player was only the fourth of fifth offensive option at the club during the season.
On 16 July 2010, after having been suspended by Almería, Rodríguez signed for Celta permanently, penning a four-year contract. In his first year in his second spell he netted a career-best 17 goals, leading the Galicians to the sixth position in the regular season and the subsequent promotion playoffs.
On 29 August 2012, after having contributed with nine goals in 28 matches to Celta's promotion, Rodríguez signed for second level outfit Sporting de Gijón. He scored his first goal for his new club on 9 September, netting the opener in a 1–1 home draw against CD Lugo.
On 30 January 2014 Rodríguez terminated his contract at Celta, completing a move to English club Brighton & Hove Albion the following day. He made his debut in the Championship two days later, coming on as a second-half substitute in a 0–2 loss at Watford.
- Almeria 0–0 Valladolid; ESPN Soccernet, 30 August 2009
- Mallorca maintain run; ESPN Soccernet, 22 November 2009
- "Ulloa, Goitom y Uche luchan por ser el '9'" [Ulloa, Goitom and Uche fight to be the '9'] (in Spanish). El Almería. 10 August 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- El Almería aparta a David Rodríguez, que se acerca al Celta (Almería suspends David Rodríguez, who moves closer to Celta); Faro de Vigo, 13 July 2010 (Spanish)
- El Celta refuerza su delantera con David Rodríguez (Celta strengthens offense with David Rodríguez); Fútbol de Segunda, 18 July 2010 (Spanish)
- "David quiere superar los 17 goles de la pasada Liga" [David wants to top 17 goals from last league] (in Spanish). Faro de Vigo. 29 July 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- David Rodríguez ya es rojiblanco (David Rodríguez is a rojiblanco); Fútbol Asturiano, 29 August 2012 (Spanish)
- "El Lugo empata en Gijón ante el Sporting" [Lugo draws in Gijón against Sporting] (in Spanish). La Voz de Galicia. 9 September 2012. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Albion seal David deal". Brighton & Hove Albion F.C. 31 January. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Sergio Rodríguez at BDFutbol
- BDFutbol profile
- Futbolme profile (Spanish)
- David Rodríguez – FIFA competition record
- David Rodríguez – UEFA competition record
- Soccerway profile