David Rollo (rugby union)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with David Rollo (footballer).
|Full name||David Miller Durie Rollo|
|Date of birth||7 July 1934|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Weight||14 st 7 lb|
|School||Bell Baxter High School|
|Rugby union career|
|Years||Club / team|
|Howe of Fife R.F.C.
|correct as of 15 November 2009.|
|Years||Club / team||Caps||(points)|
As a prop, he could play both tight and loosehead:
- "the Fife farmer who always played with his stockings rolled down to his ankles, was strong and skilful enough to play on either side of the scrum."
- "That 1959 match, at which I shared the radio commentary was quite distinctive for the courage shown by the Fife farmer, David Rollo who was gaining his first cap out of the Howe of Fife club. Soon after the start David suffered a broken nose, but after a brief absence for repairs, he returned to play prop with undiminished fire. After that debut it hardly was surprising that David went on to gain 40 caps."
- McLaren, Bill Talking of Rugby (1991, Stanley Paul, London ISBN 0-09-173875-X)
- Massie, Allan A Portrait of Scottish Rugby (Polygon, Edinburgh; ISBN 0-904919-84-6)
- Massie, p166
- Massie, p195
- Ferguson, David Rollo sets target for pupils of today, The Scotsman, published 20 December 2006
- McLaren, p 91