|David Lawrence Sackett|
November 17, 1934 |
|Known for||Pioneer in evidence-based medicine|
|Awards||Order of Canada|
David Lawrence Sackett, OC FRSC (born November 17, 1934) is a Canadian medical doctor and a pioneer in evidence-based medicine. He founded the first department of clinical epidemiology in Canada at McMaster University, and the Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine. He is well known for his textbooks Clinical Epidemiology and Evidence-Based Medicine.
David Sackett altered the routine practice on administering tonsillectomies in the 1950s, and in the 1970s, demonstrated that other methods were often preferable to the common radical mastectomy when treating breast cancer.
In 2001, he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada. In 1992, he was made a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. In 2000, he was inducted into the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame. In 2009, he was awarded the Gairdner Foundation Wightman Award.
- Haynes RB, Taylor DW, Sackett DL. Compliance in health care. Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, 1979. ISBN 0-8018-2162-2.
- Sackett DL. Bias in analytic research. J Chronic Dis. 1979;32(1-2):51-63. doi:10.1016/0021-9681(79)90012-2 PMID 447779.
- Hull RD, Raskob GE, Hirsh J, Jay RM, Leclerc JR, Geerts WH, Rosenbloom D, Sackett DL, Anderson C, Harrison L, et al. Continuous intravenous heparin compared with intermittent subcutaneous heparin in the initial treatment of proximal-vein thrombosis. N Engl J Med. 1986 October 30;315(18):1109-14. PMID 3531862.
- Laupacis A, Sackett DL, Roberts RS. An assessment of clinically useful measures of the consequences of treatment. N Engl J Med. 1988 June 30;318(26):1728-33. PMID 3374545.
- Sackett DL. Rules of evidence and clinical recommendations on the use of antithrombotic agents. Chest. 1986 Feb;89(2 Suppl):2S-3S. PMID 3943408.
- Sackett DL, Tugwell P, Guyatt GH. Clinical epidemiology: a basic science for clinical medicine, 2nd ed. Boston: Little, Brown, 1991. ISBN 0-316-76599-6.
- Guyatt GH, Sackett DL, Cook DJ. Users' guides to the medical literature. II. How to use an article about therapy or prevention. A. Are the results of the study valid? Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. JAMA. 1993 December 1;270(21):2598-601. PMID 8230645.
- Guyatt GH, Sackett DL, Cook DJ. Users' guides to the medical literature. II. How to use an article about therapy or prevention. B. What were the results and will they help me in caring for my patients? Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. JAMA. 1994 January 5;271(1):59-63. PMID 8258890.
- Jaeschke R, Guyatt G, Sackett DL. Users' guides to the medical literature. III. How to use an article about a diagnostic test. A. Are the results of the study valid? Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. JAMA. 1994 February 2;271(5):389-91. PMID 8283589.
- Jaeschke R, Guyatt GH, Sackett DL. Users' guides to the medical literature. III. How to use an article about a diagnostic test. B. What are the results and will they help me in caring for my patients? The Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. JAMA. 1994 March 2;271(9):703-7. PMID 8309035.
- Cook RJ, Sackett DL. The number needed to treat: a clinically useful measure of treatment effect. BMJ. 1995 February 18;310(6977):452-4. PMID 7873954.
- Sackett DL, Rosenberg WM, Gray JA, Haynes RB, Richardson WS. Evidence based medicine: what it is and what it isn't. BMJ. 1996 January 13;312(7023):71-2. PMID 8555924.
- Barnett HJ, Taylor DW, Eliasziw M, Fox AJ, Ferguson GG, Haynes RB, Rankin RN, Clagett GP, Hachinski VC, Sackett DL, Thorpe KE, Meldrum HE, Spence JD. Benefit of carotid endarterectomy in patients with symptomatic moderate or severe stenosis. North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial Collaborators. N Engl J Med. 1998 November 12;339(20):1415-25. PMID 9811916.
- Sackett DL, Straus SE, Richardson WS, Rosenberg W, Haynes RB. Evidence-based medicine: how to practice and teach EBM, 2nd ed. Edinburgh & New York: Churchill Livingstone, 2000. ISBN 0-443-06240-4.
- Haynes RB, Sackett DL, Guyatt GH, Tugwell P. Clinical epidemiology: how to do clinical practice research, 3rd edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2006. ISBN 0-7817-4524-1.
- White B (2004). "Making evidence-based medicine doable in everyday practice.". Fam Pract Manag 11 (2): 51–8. PMID 15011482. Free Full Text.
- Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group (1992). "Evidence-based medicine. A new approach to teaching the practice of medicine". JAMA 268 (17): 2420–5. doi:10.1001/jama.268.17.2420. PMID 1404801.
- Center for Evidence-Based Medicine
- Order of Canada citation
- "Citation". Canadian Medical Hall of Fame.
- "McMaster researcher to receive 2009 Gairdner Wightman Award". McMaster University.
- Dr. David Sackett - Canadian Medical Hall of Fame.
- Profiling the EBM man - Professor Sackett - studentBMJ.com.