He first showed a passion for film making at age 13, when he started filming the adventures during the Schurmann Family first circumnavigation of the world. He got a formal degree in Cinema in New Zealand. Afterward, he completed his education in the United States. He has worked internationally, directing and producing television shows, documentaries and commercials films.
In 2007, Schurmann released his first motion picture film, "The World Twice Around," a documentary which has won two awards in the Recife Film Festival in Brazil, for Best Film according to the public and Best Sound Editing. It has also taken the award for best film in the CineBrasil Film Festival Buenos Aires (Argentina), Milan (Italy), Rome (Italy) and New York (USA).
In 2011 David released "MISSING" a transmídia project and suspense/horror mockumentary film. The project developed and shot for under US $35,000 questioned what was real on the Unternet and the social networks.
Between 2009 and 2012 he produced and directed the documentary film & series U-513 Lonely Wolf, about the great search and find of the German submarine U-513 sunk in the coast of southern Brazil.
Schurmann is developing his next motion picture film, which is inspired on the story of Katherin Schurmann, his adopted sister.
- U-513 Lonely wolf - Documentary Feature (Film/Series) 2012/2013.
- MISSING - Fiction Feature (Film) 2011.
- THE WORLD TWICE ROUND - Documentary Feature (Film) 2007.
- MAGELLAN GLOBAL ADVENTURE - Documentary Series (Film & TV) 1996-2005.
- GET REAL - Series (TV) 1996.
- EM BUSCA DO SONHO - Documentary Feature (Video) 1995.
- INFOCUS - Series (TV) 1993-1994.