David Steiner (academic)
He was born in Princeton, New Jersey to academic George Steiner, a French-born American Holocaust survivor of Austrian-Jewish descent who emigrated to New York to escape Nazism, and was raised in Cambridge, England. He attended The Perse School in Cambridge  and earned degrees from Balliol College, Oxford University (B.A. and M.A.) and Harvard University (Ph.D.).
From 1999 to 2004 he was a professor of education in Boston University's School of Education in its department of administration. From 2005 to 2009 he served as dean of Hunter College-CUNY's School of Education. The Chancellor of the New York State Board of Regents, Merryl Tisch, chose Steiner to replace the out-going Richard Paul Mills, who had served as commissioner of education since 1995. In 2010 he approved a controversial waiver of job requirement standards for publisher Cathie Black, for chancellor of the New York City Department of Education. New York state requires that superintendents of municipal school systems have backgrounds in education. However, New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg's choice lacked a background. On April 7, 2011, scarcely hours after Cathie Black resigned as Chancellor, Steiner announced that he was to resign his own position.
- "The Politics of Liberal Education," Journal of Higher Education, November 1, 1993
- "Urban Hero: Wrong Role for School Teachers," Education Next, September 22, 2007
- "Rethinking Democratic Education: The Politics of Reform," The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1994
- "National Endowment for the Arts Announces David Steiner as New Director of Arts Education" June 9, 2004 http://www.nea.gov/news/news04/Steiner.html
- Jaggi, Maya (2001-03-17). "George and his dragons". The Guardian, March 17, 2001 (London). Retrieved 2008-03-27.
- National Association of Scholars. Nas.org. Retrieved on 2013-08-16.
- Relay GSE - Welcome to Relay Graduate School of Education. Teacheru.org (2013-06-18). Retrieved on 2013-08-16.
- "New York Board of Regents Elects David Steiner Education Commissioner," New York State Education Department press release, July 27, 2009 http://www.oms.nysed.gov/press/BORElectsDavidSteinerCOE.html
- Elizabeth Green, "David Steiner crib sheet: New schools czar to focus on teaching," July 27, 2009 http://gothamschools.org/2009/07/27/david-steiner-crib-sheet-new-schools-czar-to-focus-on-teaching/
- Meredith Kolodner, "State waiver clears Cathie Black to replace Joel Klein as Mayor Bloomberg's city schools chancellor," "New York City Daily News," November 30, 2010 http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/11/29/2010-11-29_state_waiver_clears_cathie_black_to_replace_joel_klein_as_mayor_bloombergs_city_.html
- "Parents Plan Protest Against Bloomberg’s Schools Pick," CBS News November 22, 2010 http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/11/22/parents-plan-protest-against-bloombergs-schools-pick/
Richard P. Mills
|New York State Commissioner of Education
2009 - 2011
John King, Jr.
Richard P. Mills
|President of the University of the State of New York