David Tacey (born 1953) is an Australian academic.
Early years and education
Tacey was born in Melbourne and grew up in Alice Springs, central Australia. He studied literature, psychology and philosophy, first at Flinders University where he obtained his B.A. in 1975, then at the University of Adelaide where he completed his Ph.D. in 1981. He pursued postgraduate studies in psychoanalysis and culture in the United States.
Tacey is a frequent commentator on issues of spirituality in Australia, having appeared in programs broadcast by the Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC) and the Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) in Australia and also Channel Four in the United Kingdom.
Tacey is Associate Professor of English at La Trobe University at the Bundoora campus in Victoria, Australia. His research interest are in the areas of psychoanalysis, psychology, religion, spirituality, the arts and related literary approaches, taking a post-modern perspective with a particular interest in Australian themes. He is on the editorial boards of several international journals of Jungian studies, including Jung Journal: Culture and Psyche (San Francisco) and Spring (New Orleans).
- The Idea of the Numinous: Contemporary Jungian and Psychoanalytic Perspectives (edited with Ann Casement), London and New York: Routledge, 2009 (ISBN 1-58391-784-5)
- How to Read Jung, London: Granta, 2006 (ISBN 1862077266); New York: W. W. Norton, 2007 (ISBN 0-393-32953-4)
- The Spirituality Revolution: the Emergence of Contemporary Spirituality, Melbourne and Sydney: HarperCollins, 2003 (ISBN 1-58391-874-4)
- Jung and the New Age, Brunner-Routledge, 2001 (ISBN 1-58391-160-X)
- Re-enchantment: the New Australian Spirituality, Melbourne and Sydney: HarperCollins, 2000 (ISBN 0-7322-6524-X)
- Remaking Men: Jung, Spirituality and Social Change, London and New York: Routledge, 1997 (ISBN 0-415-14241-5)
- published in Australia as Remaking Men: The Revolution in Masculinity, Melbourne: Viking, 1997 (ISBN 0-670-87845-6)
- Edge of the Sacred: Transformation in Australia, Melbourne and Sydney: Harper Collins, 1995 (ISBN 1-86371-408-1)
- Edge of the Sacred - Jung, Psyche, Earth, revised and expanded new edition, Einsiedeln: Daimon Publishers, 2009 (ISBN 3-85630-729-X)
- Patrick White: Fiction and the Unconscious, Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 1988 (ISBN 0-19-554867-1)
- Doctoral Thesis: hdl:2440/21296 "The Reign of the Mother Goddess : a Jungian study of the Novels of Patrick White", 1981
- Spiritual Classics: Jung and Eckhart, (broadcast 5 Aug 2007 and 20 January 2008); Grumpy Old Religion (with Tom Keneally), (broadcast 15 Apr 2007); Hooked on Spirituality, (broadcast 23 Feb 2003); Jung and the New Age, (broadcast 14 Oct 2001); and Re-Enchanting Australia, (broadcast 20 February 2000) on The Spirit of Things, ABC Radio National
- Human need for Meaning, SBS podcast 12 July 2007 Fundamentalism & Spirituality, SBS podcast 11 July 2007 of World View on SBS Radio
- Jung Journal
- Spring Journal
- Portuguese translation
- French translation
- Profile of David Tacey at La Trobe University
- Google book search showing excerpts of works by David Tacey