David von Schlegell
|David von Schlegell|
|Birth name||David von Schlegell|
May 25, 1920|
St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.
|Died||October 5, 1992
New Haven, Connecticut, U.S.
|Training||Art Students League of New York|
Life and career
Von Schlegell was born in St. Louis, Missouri in 1920, the son of American impressionist artist William von Schlegell. He studied at the University of Michigan in the 1940s, and then entered the United States Air Force. He made his return to art when he joined the Art Students League in New York. In the early 1960s, David von Schlegell built his own sculpture studio in Ogunquit, Maine  and later established himself as a prominent sculptor. In 1965, he married award winning American postmodern poet Susan Howe, and became step-father to her daughter, now an abstract artist, R.H. Quaytman. From 1971 to 1990, von Schlegell was the head of the Yale School of Art sculpture department. He died on October 5, 1992 in New Haven, Connecticut at the age of 72. Students of note include Don Gummer, Roni Horn, Jessica Stockholder, Ann Hamilton, Matthew Barney, Sean Landers, and Katsuhisa Sakai.
Inspired by his wartime experience as an aircraft engineer, he worked mostly with aluminum, steel, and wood. His indoor work was featured at many important exhibitions of the 1960s, and by the 70s he was a prominent public sculptor. His large scale works can be found in cities across America, including Untitled (L's) on IUPUI's campus.
Painting and drawings
In addition to sculpting, Von Schlegell also made paintings and drawings. After dedicating his Untitled (L's), he also had an exhibition in IUPUI's Lecture Hall and at the Herron School of Art displaying his photographs and drawings from the project.
- Untitled (L's) A site-specific installation on the campus of IUPUI.
- Marina, a polished metal sculpture currently on long-term loan from Miami-Dade Art in Public Places from the J. Patrick Lannan Foundation.
- Untitled Landscape, located in Boston, Massachusetts at India Wharf on the Boston waterfront.
- Mark von Schlegell - his son
- Smith, Roberta (10-6-2009). "David von Schlegell, Abstract Artist, Is Dead at 72". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 December 2009.
- "David von Schlegell, artist". Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco. 2006. Retrieved 10 December 2009.
- Wolfram, Gretchen. News Bureau, Indiana University- Purdue University. September 30, 1980
- "Boston Globe, Nov 15, 2009 - Signs and Sensibility, by Cate McQuaid".
- "Marina". Art in Public Places. Miami-Dade County. Retrieved 10 December 2009.
- Wolfram, Gretchen. News Bureau, Indiana University- Purdue University. September 30, 1980.
- "Art and Sculpture". Boston HarborWalk. The Boston Harbor Association. Retrieved 10 December 2009.