David Wagner (soccer)
|Date of birth||October 10, 1971|
|Place of birth||Geinsheim am Rhein, Germany|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Borussia Dortmund II (Manager)|
|1999||SV Waldhof Mannheim||5||(0)|
|1999–2002||SV Darmstadt 98||76||(21)|
|2011–||Borussia Dortmund II|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
David Wagner (born October 10, 1971) is a retired German-American soccer player and current manager of Borussia Dortmund II. Wagner grew up in Germany, playing soccer from a young age. He eventually found himself playing at Schalke 04 with Thomas Dooley, who, like Wagner, had an American father and a German mother and grew up in Germany.
On the recommendation of Dooley, Steve Sampson brought Wagner into the US national team in 1996 despite never having seen him play. Wagner had a U.S. passport, but had played for Germany’s U-18 and U-21 teams. This gave him additional credibility with Sampson but posed a problem as he could be considered ineligible to play for the United States.
In April 1997, after Canada lost to the U.S. in a World Cup qualifying match in which Wagner played, the Canadian Soccer Federation complained to FIFA that Wagner should be ineligible to play for the U.S. based on his appearances for Germany's youth teams. On May 2, 1997, FIFA announced that Wagner was eligible to play for the U.S. because his games with the German teams were exhibitions, not official matches.
- As of 8 February 2013
|Borussia Dortmund II||1 July 2011||Present||League1||60||28||14||18||46.67||108||82||+26|
FC Schalke 04
- UEFA Cup: 1996-97
National team appearances
- August 30, 1996 United States 3-1 El Salvador
- March 16, 1997 United States 3-0 Canada 1998 FIFA World Cup Qualifier
- March 23, 1997 Costa Rica 3-2 United States 1998 FIFA World Cup Qualifier
- April 20, 1997 United States 2-2 Mexico 1998 FIFA World Cup Qualifier
- June 17, 1997 United States 2-1 Israel
- June 29, 1997 El Salvador 1-1 United States 1998 FIFA World Cup Qualifier
- March 14, 1998 United States 2-2 Paraguay
- April 22, 1998 Austria 0-3 United States
- Wagner Gets Approval for U.S. Team - New York Times
- "David Wagner coacht ab Juli die BVB-U23". kicker (in German). 2 March 2011. Retrieved 8 February 2013.