September 21, 1990 |
Long Beach, California
|Listed height||6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)|
|Listed weight||225 lb (102 kg)|
|High school||Mater Dei (Santa Ana, California)|
|College||North Carolina (2009–2010)
|NBA draft||2014 / Undrafted|
|Career highlights and awards|
David Wear (born September 21, 1990) is an American former college basketball player. He played forward for the North Carolina Tar Heels and the UCLA Bruins. As a high school athlete, Wear was selected to participate in the 2009 McDonald's All-American Game and played on the 2008 silver medal winning USA Basketball U-18 team at the FIBA U-18 championship tournament where he ranked 29th overall in scoring, 19th in rebounding, 15th in free throw percentage, and 14th in blocked shots. Wear was also selected as the 2009 county boy's basketball player of the year, a 2009 Parade All-American, a repeat first team all-county member, first team All-Division I-AA member, first team all-league member, 2nd team all-state in 2009, and an all-state sophomore in 2007.
High school career
Wear and his twin brother, Travis, played for the North Carolina Tar Heels in their freshman year. Wear contributed 2.9 points and 1.7 rebounds a game while averaging over 10 minutes per game. The twin brothers transferred after the season in May 2010 to UCLA, but they did not publicly disclose their reasons for leaving. They redshirted the following season due to National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) transfer rules.
On January 26, 2014, he scored a career-high 18 points against California, eclipsing his previous high of 17 in 2011, also against Cal. At the team' annual banquet, he was awarded the Irv Pohlmeyer Memorial Trophy, for being the team’s top defensive player. He graduated after the 2013–14 season.
Wear was born on September 21, 1990 to David (who played college and professional basketball in Europe) and Gloria Wear. His twin brother, Travis, is younger than him by exactly a minute. The family resides in Huntington Beach, California. After basketball, Wear wants to pursue a career in business management or physical therapy. Wear and brother Travis also play hockey.
- "David Wear". Orange County Register. 2008-08-04.
- http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2008/08_mu18_stats/08_mu18_stat_leaders.pdf. Missing or empty
- O'shea, Michael (2009-04-05). "Meet PARADE's All-America High School Boys Basketball team". PARADE.
- Markazi, Arash; Leung, Dimaond (May 25, 2010). "Wear twins transferring to UCLA". ESPNLosAngeles.com. Archived from the original on April 26, 2011.
- "UCLA Looks Forward to Thursday Evening's NBA Draft". UCLA Athletics. June 24, 2014. Retrieved June 27, 2014. "In addition, UCLA graduates David Wear and Travis Wear are eligible for this season’s NBA Draft."
- , USAbasketball.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to David Wear.|