|No. 2 – Reno Bighorns|
September 21, 1990 |
Long Beach, California
|Listed height||6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)|
|Listed weight||225 lb (102 kg)|
|High school||Mater Dei (Santa Ana, California)|
|College||North Carolina (2009–2010)
|NBA draft||2014 / Undrafted|
|Career highlights and awards|
David Earl Wear, Jr. (born September 21, 1990) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Reno Bighorns of the NBA Development League. He played college basketball for the North Carolina Tar Heels and the UCLA Bruins. As a high school athlete, Wear was selected to participate in the 2009 McDonald's All-American Game and played on the 2008 silver medal winning USA Basketball U18 team at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship tournament where he ranked 29th overall in scoring, 19th in rebounding, 15th in free throw percentage, and 14th in blocked shots.
High school career
Wear attended Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana, California where he was a two-time California Interscholastic Federation State champion in 2007 and 2008. As a junior, he averaged 18.9 points and 10.0 rebounds per game. As a senior, he averaged 16.4 points and 7.5 rebounds per game. Wear was selected as the 2009 county boy's basketball player of the year, a 2009 Parade All-American, a repeat first team all-county member, first team All-Division I-AA member, first team all-league member, second team all-state in 2009, and an all-state sophomore in 2007.
Wear and his twin brother, Travis, played for the defending national champion North Carolina Tar Heels in their freshman year. Wear contributed 2.9 points and 1.7 rebounds a game while averaging over 10 minutes per game. The Tar Heels missed the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) tournament, which upset their fans. Brother Travis said playing for North Carolina "wasn't what I thought it would be." The twin brothers transferred after the season in May 2010 to UCLA. They redshirted the following season due to National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) transfer rules.
UCLA won the Pacific-12 Conference championship in 2012–13. However, UCLA coach Ben Howland was fired after the season, prompting Wear and his brother to consider transferring. After meeting with incoming coach Steve Alford, the brothers were convinced they fit as starters in the new coach's system. On January 26, 2014, Wear scored a career-high 18 points against California, eclipsing his previous high of 17 in 2011, also against Cal. At the team's annual banquet after the 2013–14 season, Wear was awarded the Irv Pohlmeyer Memorial Trophy, for being the team’s top defensive player. He graduated following the season.
After going undrafted in the 2014 NBA draft, Wear joined the Chicago Bulls for the 2014 NBA Summer League. On September 25, 2014, he signed with the Sacramento Kings. However, he was later waived by the Kings on October 19, 2014. On November 2, 2014, he was acquired by the Reno Bighorns as an affiliate player.
In July 2008, Wear won a silver medal playing for the USA Basketball Men's U18 National Team at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship in Formosa, Argentina.
Wear is the son of David Sr. and Gloria Wear. His father played college basketball at Fresno State and Cal State Fullerton and professionally overseas.
- "#12 David Wear". uclabruins.com. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- "David Wear - Mater Dei basketball - biography". OCVarsity.com. August 4, 2008. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- O'Shea, Michael (April 5, 2009). "High School Boys Basketball Team". Parade.com. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- Foster, Chris (March 2, 2014). "UCLA's twin Wear brothers near the end of their identical act". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on September 10, 2014.
- Markazi, Arash; Leung, Diamond (May 25, 2010). "Wear twins transferring to UCLA". ESPN.com. Archived from the original on April 26, 2011.
- "Wear's career-high leads UCLA past Cal 76-64". Yahoo.com. January 26, 2014. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- "UCLA Looks Forward to Thursday Evening's NBA Draft". uclabruins.com. June 24, 2014. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "BULLS ANNOUNCE 2014 NBA SUMMER LEAGUE ROSTER". NBA.com. July 8, 2014. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- Kings Announce Training Camp Roster
- Kings Waive Bhullar, Burton, Wear
- BIGHORNS FINALIZE TRAINING CAMP ROSTER AFTER D-LEAGUE DRAFT
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to David Wear.|