David Bryn Whitehouse, FSA, FRGS (15 October 1941 – 17 February 2013) was a British archaeologist and Senior Scholar of the Corning Museum of Glass. He was Director of the British School at Rome between 1974 and 1984.
Whitehouse was born 15 October 1941, the son of Brindley Charles Whitehouse and his wife Alice Margaret Whitehouse. He grew up in the village of Wildmoor near Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. He was educated at Catshill First School and at King Edward's School an independent school located in Birmingham. He read for a Bachelor of Arts (BA), later promoted to Master of Arts (MA), at St John's College, Cambridge. He held a Doctor of Philosophy degree (Ph.D.) in Archaeology, also from the University of Cambridge.
Whitehouse was a Scholar at the British School at Rome from 1963 to 1965. He became Wainwright Fellow in Near Eastern Archaeology at the University of Oxford from 1966 to 1973. During that tenure, he was director of excavations at Siraf in the Persian Gulf.
He was Director of the British Institute of Afghan Studies between 1973 to 1974, and Director of the British School at Rome for ten years, from 1974 to 1984. In 1984, he joined the Corning Museum of Glass as Chief Curator. He became Deputy Director of Collections three years later and in 1988 he was appointed Deputy Director of the Museum. He became Director in 1992 and Executive Director in 1999. He stood down from the post in 2011, becoming the museum's Senior Scholar.
Having battled for a short time with cancer, Whitehouse died on 17 February 2013.
Whitehouse married Ruth Delamain Ainger in 1963. Together they had one son and two daughters: Peter, Sarah, and Susan. In October 1975, he married Elizabeth-Anne Ollemans in Johannesburg, South Africa. They also had one son and two daughters: Simon, Julia, and Nicci.
Whitehouse wrote or edited more than 500 scholarly papers, reviews, monographs, and books. The following are a selection of those.
- Whitehouse, D. 2012. Glass: A Short History. London: British Museum Press.
- Carboni, Stefano & Whitehouse, David (2001). Glass of the sultans. New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art. ISBN 0870999869.
- Whitehouse, D. 2000. The Corning Museum of Glass: a decade of glass collecting, 1990-1999. Corning, N.Y.: The Museum: New York.
- Whitehouse, D. 1988. Glass of the Roman Empire. Corning, N.Y. : Corning Museum of Glass.
- Whitehouse, D. and Whitehouse, R. 1975. Archaeological atlas of the world. San Francisco: W. H. Freeman.
- "WHITEHOUSE, Dr David Bryn". Who's Who 2012. A & C Black. December 2011.
- "New York museum boss stops off at International Festival of Glass". Stourbridge News. 28 August 2012. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- Powell, James M. (1992). Medieval Studies: An Introduction. Syracuse University Press. pp. xviii. ISBN 9780815625568.
- "Biography: David Whitehouse". Corning Museum of Glass. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- Corning Museum of Glass (February 18, 2013). "Corning Museum of Glass Mourns the Loss of Former Director David Whitehouse". GlobeNewswire. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- "David Bryn Whitehouse". The Corning Leader. 18 February 2013. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- "W". List of Fellows. Society of Antiquaries of London. Retrieved 29 August 2012.