Davidson, North Carolina
|Davidson, North Carolina|
|Motto: "College Town. Lake Town. Your Town."|
|• Total||5.1 sq mi (13.1 km2)|
|• Land||4.9 sq mi (12.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||840 ft (256 m)|
|• Density||2,233.5/sq mi (868.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||704 980|
|GNIS feature ID||1019914|
Davidson is a lakeside town on Lake Norman in northern Mecklenburg County in the U.S. state of North Carolina. The population was 10,944 at the 2010 census. It is home to Davidson College. The town is centered on the college from which it takes its name.
The town was founded in 1837 with the establishment of the Presbyterian Davidson College, named for Brigadier General William Lee Davidson, a local Revolutionary War hero in Mecklenburg County. The land for Davidson College came from Davidson's estate, a large portion of which was donated by his son.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 5.1 square miles (13.1 km²), of which, 4.9 square miles (12.6 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km²) of it (3.95%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,139 people, 2,122 households, and 1,476 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,468.0 people per square mile (567.2/km²). There were 2,452 housing units at an average density of 504.2 per square mile (194.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 88.53% White, 8.14% African American, 0.15% Native American, 1.29% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.97% from other races, and 0.84% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.28% of the population.
There were 2,122 households out of which 35.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.1% were married couples living together, 7.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.4% were non-families. 24.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the town the population was spread out with 21.1% under the age of 18, 24.2% from 18 to 24, 25.5% from 25 to 44, 18.5% from 45 to 64, and 10.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 95.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.2 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $78,370, and the median income for a family was $100,961. Males had a median income of $69,830 versus $37,632 for females. The per capita income for the town was $31,571. About 3.4% of families and 6.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.4% of those under age 18 and 5.5% of those age 65 or over.
- John Candelaria (born 1953), former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Alan Gustafson (born 1975), NASCAR crew chief
Points of interest
The citizens of Davidson, NC attend the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. Elementary schools include Davidson Elementary. Following the shutdown of Davidson IBMYP Middle school in 2011, there currently is no middle school located in Davidson. However, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools have proposed expanding nearby Davidson Elemetary to a K-8 school.
- Lake Norman Christian School
- Cannon School, located in nearby Concord, serves Davidson families
- Davidson Day School, located at 750 Jetton Road in Davidson
- Davidson Green School, located in downtown Davidson on South Main Street
- Phoenix Montessori Academy, www.phoenixmontessori.org, 412 Armour Street
- Woodlawn School, located 1 mile north of Davidson College
Colleges and universities
Davidson College is located in Davidson.
Davidson is served by a branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. The library is located on the Green in Davidson.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Davidson branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County". Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- Official Davidson website
- Lake Norman Chamber of Commerce
- Visit Lake Norman
- DavidsonNews.net, a privately run community news website
- Davidson branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County