Davidson, North Carolina
|Davidson, North Carolina|
|Motto: "College Town. Lake Town. Your Town."|
Location of Davidson, North Carolina
|• Total||5.1 sq mi (13.1 km2)|
|• Land||4.9 sq mi (12.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||840 ft (256 m)|
|• Density||2,233.5/sq mi (868.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||704 980|
|GNIS feature ID||1019914|
Davidson is a lakeside town on Lake Norman in northern Mecklenburg County in the U.S. state of North Carolina. The population was 10,944 at the 2010 census. It is home to Davidson College. The town is centered on the college from which it takes its name.
The town was founded in 1837 with the establishment of the Presbyterian Davidson College, named for Brigadier General William Lee Davidson, a local Revolutionary War hero in Mecklenburg County. The land for Davidson College came from Davidson's estate, a large portion of which was donated by his son.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 5.1 square miles (13.1 km²), of which, 4.9 square miles (12.6 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km²) of it (3.95%) is water.
According to the 2010 census, there are 10,944 people and 4,253 housing units in the town. The racial makeup of the town is 87.8% White, 6.4% African American, 0.2% Native American, 2.8% Asian, 3.8% Hispanic or Latino and 1.7% from two or more races.
There are approximately 2,429 family households out of which 34.2% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.3% are married couples living together, 7.3% have a female householder with no husband present, 2.6% have a male householder with no wife present, and 33.8% are non-families. 26.4% of all households are made up of individuals and 7.3% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.4 and the average family size is 3.11.
In the town the population is spread out with 22.8% under the age of 18, 14.9% from 20 to 29, 21.9% from 35 to 49, 16.2% from 50 to 64, and 12.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age is 35.7 years. 47.5% of the population is male and 52.5% is female.
The median household income is $83,730, and the median income for a family was $124,045. Males who work full-time and year-round have a median income of $93,833 versus $56,178 for females. The per capita income for the town is $49,065. About 4.8% of families and 6.4% of the population are below the poverty line, including 6.5% of those under age 18 and 3.9% of those age 65 or over.
- John Candelaria (born 1953), former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Alan Gustafson (born 1975), NASCAR crew chief
- Will Grier, University of Florida quarterback
Points of interest
The citizens of Davidson, NC attend the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. Elementary schools include Davidson Elementary. Following the shutdown of Davidson IBMYP Middle school in 2011, there currently is no middle school located in Davidson. However, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools have proposed expanding nearby Davidson Elementary to a K-8 school.
- Davidson Day School, located at 750 Jetton Road in Davidson
- Woodlawn School, located 1 mile north of Davidson College
- Lake Norman Christian School
- Davidson Green School, located in downtown Davidson on South Main Street
- Phoenix Montessori Academy, 412 Armour Street
Colleges and universities
Davidson College is located in Davidson.
Davidson is served by a branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. The library is located on the Green in Davidson.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Davidson branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County". Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- Official Davidson website
- Lake Norman Chamber of Commerce
- Visit Lake Norman
- DavidsonNews.net, a privately run community news website
- Davidson branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County