Davie County, North Carolina
|Davie County, North Carolina|
Davie County Courthouse
Location in the state of North Carolina
North Carolina's location in the U.S.
|Named for||William R. Davie|
|• Total||267 sq mi (692 km2)|
|• Land||264 sq mi (684 km2)|
|• Water||3.0 sq mi (8 km2), 1.1%|
|• Density||156/sq mi (60/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
The county was formed in 1836 from Rowan County. It was named for William R. Davie, Governor of North Carolina from 1798 to 1799. 1,147 soldiers from Davie County fought in the American Civil War for the Confederate States of America.
- Yadkin County - north
- Forsyth County - northeast
- Davidson County - southeast
- Rowan County - south
- Iredell County - west
Portions of Davie County are located in the Yadkin Valley AVA, an American Viticultural Area. Wines made from grapes grown in the Yadkin Valley AVA may use the appellation Yadkin Valley on their labels.
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 34,835 people, 13,750 households, and 10,257 families residing in the county. The population density was 131 people per square mile (51/km²). There were 14,953 housing units at an average density of 56 per square mile (22/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 90.44% White, 6.80% Black or African American, 0.23% Native American, 0.31% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.31% from other races, and 0.89% from two or more races. 3.47% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 13,750 households out of which 32.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.40% were married couples living together, 9.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.40% were non-families. 22.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.30% under the age of 18, 7.10% from 18 to 24, 29.40% from 25 to 44, 25.50% from 45 to 64, and 13.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 97.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $40,174, and the median income for a family was $47,699. Males had a median income of $33,179 versus $24,632 for females. The per capita income for the county was $21,359. About 6.40% of families and 8.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.20% of those under age 18 and 11.30% of those age 65 or over.
Law and government
Davie County is a member of the Piedmont Triad Regional Council.
- Shady Grove
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 19, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 101.
- The Civil War Roster for Davie County, North Carolina.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- Forstall, Richard L., ed. (March 27, 1995). "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. April 2, 2001. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Davie County government official website
- Davie County Official Web Portal
- Digital Davie: Historic Photos and Documents from the Davie County Public Library
- Sisters Pen Book on Civil War History
||Yadkin County||Forsyth County|
|Rowan County||Davidson County|