|City of Davison|
|Nickname(s): City of Flags|
Location of Davison, Michigan
|• Mayor||Tim Bishop|
|• City Manager||Michael Hart|
|• City||1.98 sq mi (5.13 km2)|
|• Land||1.98 sq mi (5.13 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||794 ft (242 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||5,078|
|• Density||2,612.6/sq mi (1,008.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0624356|
Davison is a city in Genesee County in the U.S. state of Michigan and a suburb of Flint. The population was 5,536 at the 2000 census and fell to 5,173 by the 2010 census. Davison is located within Davison Township, but is administratively autonomous.
Davison was first settled in 1842 by Eleazer Thurston.
Davison was named after Judge Norman Davison, who founded a nearby town formerly known as Davisonville, now known as Atlas.
In January 2010, it was announced that Davison City Manager Dale Martin and Davison Township, Michigan Supervisor Kurt Soper had begun preliminary meetings discussing the possibility of merging the two municipalities.
As of the census of 2010, there were 5,173 people, 2,371 households, and 1,314 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,617.9 per square mile. The racial makeup of the city was 94.9% White, 1.8% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 0% Pacific Islander, 0.7% from other races, and 2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.9% of the population.
The 2010 census lists 2,371 households out of which 640 (27%) had children under the age of 18 living with them, 837 (35.3%) were married couples living together, 349 (14.7%) had a female householder with no husband present, and 1,057 (44.6%) were non-families. 936 (39.5%) of all households were made up of individuals and 492 (18.1%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.18 and the average family size was 2.91. In the city the population was spread out with 25.8% aged birth to 19, 12.1% from 20 to 29, 12.6% from 30 to 39, 13.1% from 40 to 49, 13% 50 to 59, 11.1% from 60 to 69, and 12.1% who were 70 years of age or older. The median age was 39.5 years.
According to the American Community Survey, 2010, The median income for a household in the city was $37,793, and the mean income for a household was $48,643. The per capita income for the city was $23,132. About 14.5% of families and 17.5% of the city population were below the poverty line, with 26.6% of those being under age 18 and 5.2% of those age 65 or over.
The municipality operates its own well water system.
- Brent Metcalf, amateur wrestler
- Michael Moore, filmmaker, was born in 1954 at St. Joseph's Hospital in Flint, Michigan, spent most of his childhood in Davison, and graduated from Davison High School in 1972.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Davison (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau". Quickfacts.census.gov. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- "Davison, Michigan - City Information, Fast Facts, Schools, Colleges, and More". Citytowninfo.com. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- US Census Bureau ACSO Web Staff. "American Community Survey".
- Adams, Dominic (June 27, 2014). "Flint monthly water and sewer bills highest in Genesee County by $35". The Flint Journal (Mlive Media Group). Retrieved April 2, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Davison, Michigan.|