Davyhulme shown within Greater Manchester
|OS grid reference|
|Metropolitan county||Greater Manchester|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
|UK Parliament||Stretford and Urmston|
Davyhulme Sewage Works
The area is notable for Davyhulme Sewage Works, one of the largest wastewater treatment plants in Europe. Opened in 1894, the site is operated by United Utilities and serves a population of 1.2 million in and around the city of Manchester. The facility includes a biogas combined heat and power facility, producing renewable energy from gas produced by the anaerobic digestion of sewage.
Davyhulme Nature Reserve
Also known as Davyhulme Millennium Nature Reserve, the area set along the Manchester Ship Canal is popular with dog walkers and children on bicycles. The area is owned by United Utilities, and was managed by a warden when first opened to the public. It is notable for being one of the few places in the area not owned by Peel Holdings.
Trafford General Hospital
Politically Davyhulme is divided into the electoral wards of Davyhulme East and Davyhulme West, although a part of Urmston is included in Davyhulme East and some of the neighbouring locality of Flixton is included within Davyhulme West. The area generally elects Conservative Councillors.
It is in the parliamentary constituency of Stretford and Urmston, but until the 1997 general election it gave its name to the Davyhulme constituency. Winston Churchill's grandson, also called Winston Churchill, was the Conservative MP for more than 25 years, but since 1997 Labour Party MPs have been elected.
- Peter Collins, world champion speedway rider
- Charles Ewart, Scottish war hero, spent the last 16 years of his life here
- Steve Milner, cricketer
- Morrissey, lead singer of the Smiths
- Jim Noir (real name Alan Roberts), composer, producer and multi-instrumentalist
- Peter Noone, singer with pop group Herman's Hermits
- David Andrew Phoenix, biochemist
- United Utilities Davyhulme Biogas CHP Plant, www.clarke-energy.com, retrieved 7th July 2014