Dawn Eden is an American Catholic author and journalist who was formerly a rock historian and tabloid-newspaper headline writer. She has also written a number of books.
Eden began writing about rock music under the abbreviated name Dawn Eden in 1985 for fanzines, eventually becoming a popular-music historian, writing for Mojo, Salon, New York Press, and Billboard, among others. From 1990 through the early 2000s, she penned liner notes for more than seventy CD reissues. Artists she interviewed include Harry Nilsson, and Del Shannon, and Lesley Gore.
Religious conversion and subsequent career
In 1999, Eden had a "born-again" experience that led her to become a Protestant Christian. She worked as a copy editor at the New York Post from early 2002 to January 2005. A headline she wrote about a toilet-bowl collapse ("Hurt in line of doody") won first place in the "Brightest Headline" category of the 2004 New York State Associated Press Awards. She was forced to leave the Post after edits she made to a story about in vitro fertilization revealed her pro-life sympathies. The firing led the New York Observer to publish a front-page profile of her by George Gurley, "Eden in Exile."
Eden was hired in April 2005 by the New York Daily News as assistant news editor of its newly relaunched National Edition. She later became deputy news editor for the newspaper's new weekly regional editions.
In 2006, Eden was received into the Roman Catholic Church. Her book The Thrill of the Chaste was published that December; she promoted it with public talks and with appearances on EWTN and on NBC's Today Show.
Eden left the Daily News in 2007 to move to Washington, D.C., where, in 2008, she was successfully treated for thyroid cancer. In May 2010, she received an M.A. in theology from Dominican House of Studies after defending her master's thesis, a critique of Christopher West's presentation of Pope John Paul II's theology of the body. Three months later, after Alice von Hildebrand cited Eden's research in her own critique of West, Catholic News Agency made the thesis available for download.
Her second book, My Peace I Give You: Healing Sexual Wounds with the Help of the Saints, was published in April 2012 by Ave Maria Press. In November 2012, on the Eternal Word Television Network television program "The Journey Home", she told the story of her conversion to the Catholic faith and spoke about healing from childhood sexual abuse.
- Eden, Dawn (2006). The thrill of the chaste: finding fulfillment while keeping your clothes on. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson. ISBN 084991311X.
- Eden, Dawn (2012). My peace I give you: healing sexual wounds with the help of the saints. Notre Dame, Ind.: Ave Maria Press. ISBN 1594712905.
- Eden, Dawn (2015). The thrill of the chaste: finding fulfillment while keeping your clothes on (Catholic edition). Notre Dame, IN: Ave Maria Press. ISBN 1594715580.
- Eden, Dawn. "Alma Mattered: My Great-Aunt's Lessons for Literary Survival". Archived from the original on 2014-01-01.
- "Dawn Eden Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Molotkow, Alexandra (August 11, 2013). "She Told Herself She Couldn't Die Because She Had to Write His Story". The New York Times Magazine.
- Kimiadi, Melissa (November 28, 2012). "Dawn Eden’s Lives of the Saints for victims of sexual abuse". A Journey Through NYC Religions.
- "Department of Corrections: Howdy, Doody". Gawker. April 27, 2004.
- Buffa, Denise (April 26, 2004). "Hurt in line of doody - exploding toilet suit". New York Post. Retrieved 2009-10-05
- Gurley, George. "Eden in Exile", 2005-02-14, archived from the original on 2005-02-12, New York Observer.
- Eden, Dawn (1 August 2014). "The Inky-Fingered Dawn". GetReligion.org. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- Eden, Dawn (February 27, 2009). "UPDATED WITH MEMORIAL DETAILS: Remembering Francis Canavan S.J.—Part 1". The Dawn Patrol. Blogger.
- Eden, Dawn (March 2, 2008). "The thrill of the chaste: In defense of sexless dating". MSNBC.
- Eden, Dawn (August 25, 2008). "Orientation day". The Dawn Patrol. Blogger.
- von Hildebrand, Alice. "Dietrich von Hildebrand, Catholic Philosopher, and Christopher West, Modern Enthusiast: Two Very Different Approaches to Love, Marriage and Sex". Catholic News Agency. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "Dawn Eden releases free copy of Theology of the Body thesis on CNA". Catholic News Agency. August 10, 2010.
- My Peace I Give You. Ave Maria Press. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- Eden, Dawn (November 13, 2012). "WATCH NOW: My interview on EWTN's 'The Journey Home'". Patheos.
- The Thrill of the Chaste (Catholic Edition). Ave Maria Press. Retrieved January 29, 2015.
- Author biography. Amazon.com. Retrieved January 29, 2015.