|Member of the Iowa House of Representatives
from the 75th district
January 10, 2005
|Preceded by||Dell Hanson|
|Political party||Democratic (2004 – 2007)
Republican (2007 – present)
Dawn Pettengill (born 2 July 1955) has been a member of the Iowa House of Representatives from the 75th District since 2005 (numbered as the 39th District until 2012). On April 30, 2007, she switched to the Republican Party, having previously served in the House as a Democrat. In a letter to her constituents, Pettengill said she decided to switch parties due to disagreements with fiscal and labor policy, as well as the state Democratic Party's decision to take her off the incumbent protection list for the 2008 elections.
As of October 2011[update], Pettengill serves on several committees in the Iowa House - the Commerce, Government Oversight, Government Oversight (Joint), State Government, and Ways and Means committees. She also serves as the vice chair of the Administrative Rules Review Committee and as co-chair of the Public Retirement Systems Committee and as a member of the Investment Board of the Iowa Public Employees' Retirement System.
Pettengill was first elected in 2004, defeating incumbent Republican Dell Hanson. She subsequently won re-election in 2006, defeating Republican opponent Connie Jacobsen. She switched parties in 2008, and proceeded to defeat Democratic opponent Terry Hertle. Pettengill was unopposed in 2010, and defeated Democrat Sandra Cronbaugh in 2012 and Steve Beck in 2014.
|Iowa House of Representatives elections, 2004 
|Democratic gain from Republican||Dawn Pettengill||Democratic||8,086||54.4|
|Iowa House of Representatives elections, 2006 
|Democratic hold||Dawn Pettengill*||Democratic||6,365||56.3|
|Iowa House of Representatives elections, 2008 
|Republican hold||Dawn Pettengill*||Republican||8,291||54.6|
|Iowa House of Representatives elections, 2010 
|Republican hold||Dawn Pettengill*||Republican||unopposed|
- Pettengill, Dawn (2007-05-02). "In The Statehouse May 2, 2007". Pettengill for Iowans. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- "Canvass Summary - Final - 2004 General Election (11/2/2004)" (PDF). Iowa Secretary of State. 2004-12-06. p. 26. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Official Results Report - Statewide, 2006 General Election 11-07-2006" (PDF). Iowa Secretary of State. 2006-11-21. p. 34. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "November 4, 2008 General Election Results". Iowa Secretary of State. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- Pettengill switched from the Democratic to the Republican Party on April 30, 2007.
- "Official Results Report, General Election held November 2, 2010" (PDF). Iowa Secretary of State. 2010-12-16. p. 80. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dawn Pettengill.|
- Representative Dawn Pettengill official Iowa General Assembly site
- Profile at Iowa House Republicans
|Iowa House of Representatives|
2005 – present