|Created by||Paul Zbyszewski|
|Theme music composer||Mark Kilian
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Jeffrey Jackson Bell
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Matthew Gross Entertainment
|Original channel||ABC (2006)
TV One (2008)
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Audio format||Surround Sound|
|Original airing||November 15 – December 13, 2006 (Main series)
April 20 – June 8, 2008 (Unseen series)
Day Break is a television program for which one 13-episode season was produced. The series starred Taye Diggs as Detective Brett Hopper, who is framed for the murder of Assistant District Attorney Alberto Garza. Due to a time loop, Hopper lives the same day over and over. The series revolves around his attempt to solve the mystery of the murder, and find out who is behind the conspiracy to frame him.
The series aired on the ABC network, and premiered on November 15, 2006. Rapidly declining ratings led to the show being cancelled on December 15 after only six episodes had aired. The remaining episodes were subsequently made available online at ABC.com. Viewers for the show averaged 6.5 million.
On March 16, 2008, the TV One cable network began airing the six previously broadcast episodes. On April 20, the network began Sunday evening broadcasts of the remaining seven episodes, which had never been seen on television.
Los Angeles Detective Brett Hopper is stuck repeating the same day, in which he is framed for the murder of the Assistant District Attorney, Alberto Garza. Each day, he attempts to uncover clues to the homicide that has him on the run for his freedom. Hopper must clear his name, but those close to him get caught in the web of conspiracy that will put their lives in danger.
The days can get complicated with each decision he makes as he tries various tactics to fight or flee the murder allegations. At least one other individual seems to be repeating the same day as Hopper, but his actions rarely affect Hopper's case unless they happen to be working together on that iteration of the day.
While episodes may start at any time of the day and may contain multiple days or parts of days, Hopper begins each day by waking up at 6:17 a.m. and viewing his clock turn to 6:18 a.m. Hopper only carries his memories and his body, with any injuries, over into the next repetition of the day. However, injuries to other individuals do not carry over to the next day.
If Hopper makes enough of a difference in one situation, related events are sometimes altered. This generally involves an individual waking up with a sense of apprehension or a newfound perspective concerning the object or relationship that Hopper affected in a previous iteration of the day. These changes can be reversed, as in the cases of Andrea deciding to check her boyfriend into a drug rehabilitation center and Rita's feelings towards Hopper in episodes 11, 12 and 13.
Main characters 
- Brett Hopper, played by Taye Diggs, the main character of the show. He is a detective who is framed for the murder of Assistant District Attorney Alberto Garza.
- Rita Shelten, played by Moon Bloodgood, Brett's girlfriend. She is a nurse and is targeted by those who are framing Brett.
- Jennifer Mathis, played by Meta Golding, Brett's sister. She is a school teacher.
- Andrea Battle, played by Victoria Pratt, Brett's current partner. She is also a detective and is being investigated by Internal Affairs because of some shady dealings with her informer "Slim". She is romantically involved with Eddie Reyes, a former cop with a drug addiction.
- Damien Ortiz, played by Ramón Rodríguez, Brett's informant. He is a gang member who decided to turn against his gang. His safe house was ambushed the night before the repeating day, but he escaped.
- Chad Shelten, played by Adam Baldwin, Brett's former partner. He is now a detective in Internal Affairs. He is also Rita's ex-husband.
Supporting characters 
|Mitch Pileggi||Armen D. Spivak||Detective, robbery/homicide|
|Ian Anthony Dale||Christopher Choi||Detective, robbery/homicide|
|Joe Nieves||Fencik||"Shadow Agent"|
|Michael McGrady||Buchalter||"Shadow Agent"|
|Jim Beaver||Nick Vukovic||Retired cop, former partner of Brett's father|
|Don Franklin||Randall Mathis||School principal, Jennifer's husband|
|Michael B. Silver||Nathan Baxter||U.S. Attorney|
|Bahar Soomekh||Margot Clarke||Coffee shop/bus Woman/Judge Nitzberg's secretary|
|Jonathan Banks||Conrad Detweiler||"Shadow Man"|
|Nestor Carbonell||Eddie Reyes||Andrea's lover, former cop|
|John Getz||Tobias Booth||City Councilman|
|Raymond Cruz||Luis Torres||Booth's righthand man, former criminal|
|Eric Steinberg||Danny Yan/"Slim"||Drug dealer|
|John Rubinstein||Barry Colburn||Defense attorney|
|Clayton Rohner||Jared Pryor||Man who appears to be experiencing the time loop|
|Marlene Forte (as Marlene Forté)||Mrs. Garza||Alberto Garza's widow|
|#||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|1||"Pilot"||Rob Bowman||Paul Zbyszewski||November 15, 2006|
|When Detective Brett Hopper woke up this morning, he thought it was a normal day, a day like any other one, but he rapidly finds out that he is accused of killing Assistant District Attorney Alberto Garza. Even after offering a solid alibi, no one believes him. The next morning, when he wakes up, he finds out that he is reliving the same day and that his loved ones are in danger. (10.6 million viewers)|
|2||"What If They Run"||Rob Bowman||Paul Zbyszewski||November 15, 2006|
|Brett makes the decision to take Rita and try to make a run for it by getting out of town, in an attempt to escape the day. But he soon discovers the disastrous consequences of his rash actions on others. (8.6 million viewers)|
|3||"What If He Lets Her Go"||Rob Bowman||Steven Maeda||November 15, 2006|
|Hopper learns someone close to him may have been involved in framing him for Garza's murder. Meanwhile, some critical clues are revealed that could assist Hopper in making his nightmarish day finally end. (5.12 million viewers)|
|4||"What If He Can Change the Day"||Frederick King Keller||Henry Alonso Myers||November 29, 2006|
|While trying to find out who framed him, Hopper is starting to figure out what his partner, Andrea, did that caused her disagreement with Internal Affairs. (4.73 million viewers)|
|5||"What If They're Stuck"||Dwight H. Little||David Graziano||December 6, 2006|
|To prove his innocence, Brett visits the Internal Affairs office, twice, in search of the murder book. During his first visit, things aren't going like he planned but his second time isn't better when he doesn't have any other choice than taking someone hostage. (4.5 million viewers)|
|6||"What If They Find Him"||Rob Bowman||Charles Murray||December 13, 2006|
|Hopper tracks down a major player in the conspiracy to frame him for Garza's murder. He also discovers that he must continue to heed the warning of the consequences of his decisions when his actions turn out to affect the day in the worst possible ways imaginable. (3.1 million viewers or 3.94 million per Nielsen Media Research)|
|7||"What If He's Not Alone"||Andy Wolk||Jeffrey Bell & Steven Maeda||January 29, 2007
April 20, 2008 ^
|Hopper believes he may have found someone who is inadvertently involved in his never-ending day—and may also be caught in the same, repetitive loop.|
|8||"What If She's Lying"||Bryan Spicer||Paul Zbyszewski & Henry Alonso Myers||January 29, 2007
April 27, 2008 ^
|Hopper believes that Jennifer is somehow involved in his hellacious day and hiding something from him. In order to find out what she's afraid to admit, he pays a visit to his estranged mother to go through his father's old police files to find a connection.|
|9||"What If They're Connected"||Rob Bowman||Angela Russo & John Hlavin||January 29, 2007
May 4, 2008 ^
|Hopper discovers that a possible war between two rival gangs may be linked to his framing for the murder of Garza. Meanwhile, he pays a visit to Garza's murder scene and begins to piece together who may have really killed the Assistant District Attorney.|
|10||"What If He's Free"||Elodie Keene||David Graziano & Charles Murray||January 29, 2007
May 11, 2008 ^
|After coming face to face with Garza's murderer, Hopper wonders whether his never-ending day will finally end.|
|11||"What If He Walks Away"||Bryan Spicer||Jenny Lynn||February 4, 2007
May 18, 2008 ^
|Hopper tries walking away from the day with Rita, but his actions have decidedly negative consequences. Meanwhile, he discovers that someone he thought he could trust has betrayed him.|
|12||"What If She's the Key"||David Von Ancken||Jeffrey Bell & Paul Zbyszewski||February 12, 2007
June 1, 2008 ^
|Hopper discovers that Rita is hiding a secret from him that may play a pivotal role in his repeating day.|
|13||"What If It's Him"||Rob Bowman||Paul Zbyszewski & Jeffrey Bell||March 2, 2007
June 8, 2008 ^
|Hopper's day of reckoning finally is in sight and the answers to his questions are within his reach—but will he live to see the end of his repeating day?|
* = World premiere on ABC.com
^ = Television premiere on TV One
Viewers for the series on television averaged 6.5 million.
||This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011)|
All 13 episodes were made available on ABC.com. However, the online videos are no longer on ABC.com as of October, 2007. As of August 15, 2009, all 13 episodes are on Hulu.com. As of April 19, 2011, the series is also available for instant streaming to Netflix subscribers. Repeats of the series now air on the TV One cable network, to be followed by those episodes which were not televised on ABC.
In Ireland the national broadcaster is airing Day Break at 4am on Saturday mornings on its second channel RTÉ 2.
In Brazil the People&Arts channel is broadcasting the episodes.
Online distribution 
ABC had previously said that there were problems that kept the rest of the episodes from being shown online, calling them "unforeseen music clearance issues." On January 14, 2007, the network announced that the remaining episodes would be made available by the end of February. The first six episodes which had aired on television were posted on January 29, 2007, along with the first four unaired episodes.
The thirteenth and final episode, which was originally scheduled to be available on February 19, was delayed multiple times. After a nearly three-week wait, the finale premiered late on March 2. It was reported that the reasons for this delay concerned copyrighting issues with some of the original soundtrack from the final cut of the episode.
DVD release 
On March 25, 2008, Day Break: The Complete Series was released on DVD in Region 1 by BCI Eclipse on a 4-disc set. This release is out of print as BCI Eclipse ceased operations in December 2008.
See also 
- ABC Pulls "Day Break" and Shatner Show, ABCNews.com, December 15, 2006
- Day Break on Naughty List, E! News, December 20, 2006
- TV One Will Air "Day Break," with Taye Diggs, in March, Playbill.com, March 7, 2008
- TV One premieres never-before-seen-on-television episodes of action thriller series "Day Break" starring Taye Diggs beginning Sunday, April 20 at 10 PM ET, TV One Online.com, April 15, 2008
- The Basic FAQ about Day Break..., ABC.com, December 21, 2006
- Illustrated, Spoiler-Laden Who's Who on Day Break
- "Wednesday Ratings Decoder: Stars Burn Hot!". Eonline.com. 2006-11-16. Retrieved 2007-01-03.
- "Daily Ratings". TV tracker.com - Must enter dates. Retrieved 2007-01-03.
- "Screw the hiatus, bring back Lost now". TV Squad.com. 2006-11-24. Retrieved 2007-01-03.
- Kissell, Rick (2006-11-30). "CBS dominated night". Variety.com. Retrieved 2007-01-03.
- Kissell, Rick (2006-12-07). "Best night yet for CW". Variety.com. Retrieved 2007-01-03.
- "Day Break: ABC's Taye Diggs Drama is Gone". TV Series Finale.com. 2006-12-15. Retrieved 2006-12-20.
- "ABC Shows Money the Door". E Online.com. 2006-12-18. Retrieved 2007-01-03.
- Joal Ryan (2006-12-19). "Day Break on Naughty List". E! News. Retrieved 2006-12-20.
- Tuned Out: Why Day Break Is MIA from ABC.com, TVGuide.com, December 21, 2006
- Killed ABC Serials Get One More Breath, Zap2It.com, January 14, 2007.
- Day Break: The Story on the Last Episode, TV Series Finale, March 2, 2007
- Date Slips Just a Little for Taye Diggs' Day Break on DVD, TV on DVD.com, January 21, 2008
- Day Break - The Complete Series, TVShowsOnDVD.com