Day by Day (Godspell song)
|"Day by Day"|
|Single by Original Cast of Godspell|
|from the album Godspell|
Day by Day is the third song in the show’s score and it is also reprised as the closing number for the 1973 film version. Its refrain follows a prayer ascribed to the 13th-century English bishop Saint Richard of Chichester:
May I know Thee more clearly,
Love Thee more dearly,
Follow Thee more nearly.
In 1972, the song was released as a single attributed to the original cast album, with Robin Lamont as the lead singer. It spent 14 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at the #13 position on July 29, 1972. Billboard ranked it as the No. 90 song for 1972.
- The instrumental cover band Hot Butter released a version on their 1972 album Hot Butter
- The 5th Dimension's version was recorded for the Living Together, Growing Together album, released in 1973
- Another instrumental version, in the song's initial key, was used as the theme music for NBC's Today Show in the 1970s
- Featured in Wet Hot American Summer
- Andy Williams released a version in 1972 on his album, Alone Again (Naturally)
- The song was covered by British pop singer Cilla Black who released it on her 1973 album Day by Day with Cilla which was her seventh and last studio album with producer George Martin
- Christian rap/rock group DC Talk covered the song (with additional lyrics) on their 1995 album "Jesus Freak"
- A previously unreleased version by the 1970s British vocal group Design was included on their 2012 CD One Sunny Day: Singles and Rarities 1968–1978
- Judy Collins released a version on her Amazing Grace LP in 1985.
- Christian rock group House of Heroes covered the song on their 2013 album "The Knock-Down Drag-Outs"
- Ian C. Bradley (2005). You've Got to Have a Dream: The Message of the Musical. Westminster John Knox Press. p. 142. ISBN 0-664-22854-2.
- Philip H. Pfatteicher (2008). New Book of Festivals and Commemorations: A Proposed Common Calendar of Saints. Fortress Press. p. 159. ISBN 0-8006-2128-X.
- Billboard. July 29, 1972.
- Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1972