Daybreak Northern Ireland
|Daybreak Northern Ireland|
Daybreak N. Ireland's CSO set, September 2012 (pictured is presenter, Jane Veitch)
|Also known as||GMTV Northern Ireland
(1994 -2010 )
|Country of origin||Northern Ireland, United Kingdom|
|Running time||2 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Macmillan Media (2005-2012),
|Original channel||ITV Breakfast
|Picture format||576i (SDTV 16:9)|
|Original run||January 1995– 21 December 2012|
|Preceded by||UTV Live|
|Followed by||UTV Live|
Unlike the ITV plc-owned regions, UTV - the ITV contractor for Northern Ireland - did not provide regional news broadcasts during Daybreak (previously GMTV). This was due to a dispute between UTV and GMTV which dates back to 1994 when UTV opted out of the national breakfast contractor in breach of their broadcasting licence to provide live coverage of the breaking news of the Combined Loyalist ceasefire.
GMTV Northern Ireland was rebranded as Daybreak Northern Ireland in September 2010, when GMTV was replaced by new breakfast programme, Daybreak. Regional bulletins aired three times each weekday, and included a look at the days main headlines, a travel news update, and a weather forecast.
In January 1995, GMTV contracted the service out to Reuters, who then provided the GMTV national news service. The service was produced by ITN from March 2000. Macmillan Media, a company founded by former ITN and BBC correspondent Michael Macmillan, won the contract to provide news bulletins in 2005.
The Daybreak Northern Ireland service by Macmillan Media ended on Friday 21 December 2012, with UTV resuming production of the breakfast news opt-outs from January 2013 onwards.
- Sonia Butterworth
- Richard Cull
- Lynda Fulford
- Lindsey Armstrong (now freelancing with UTV after working at BBC Northern Ireland)
- Vicki Hawthorne (now freelance, appears on Sky News)
- Emma Johnston
- Aideen Kennedy (now with UTV)
- Barbara McCann (now with BBC Northern Ireland)
- Siobhan McGarry
- Maura O'Brien
- Kirsteen O'Sullivan (Now with TV3)
- Charlie Oundo
- Paul Reilly (now with UTV)
- Nicola Thompson (now with BBC)
- Jane Veitch
- Patricia Wilkinson (now with BBC Northern Ireland)
- Sheppard, Fergus (7 April 2007). "Irish firm to provide news as GMTV pulls plug on STV". Edinburgh: The Scotsman. Retrieved 1 August 2007.