Dayglo Abortions performing at The Cobalt Hotel in Vancouver, BC, August 2004
|Origin||Victoria, British Columbia, Canada|
|Genres||Punk rock, hardcore punk, crossover thrash|
|Associated acts||Bunchofuckingoofs, Lummox|
The Dayglo Abortions are a Canadian punk band from Victoria, British Columbia. Their lyrics are informed by a complete disregard for societal norms. They formed in 1979 and released their first album in 1981. The band's biography, Argh Fuck Kill: The Story of the Dayglo Abortions, by author Chris Walter, was published in 2010 by Gofuckyerself Press.
Two albums featured in the resulting trial; the covers and the lyrical content being showcased by the prosecution. Here Today, Guano Tomorrow had a cover showing a picture of a hamster eating from a box of chocolates on nice satin sheets, along with a glass of wine. A gun points at the hamster, and the back cover shows a depiction of the resulting carnage.
This resulted in the criminal prosecution of Fringe Product, their label at the time, for distribution and possession with intent to distribute of obscene material—the first such prosecution since the offense entered the criminal code in 1959. The jury returned a verdict of not guilty.
The Dayglos, for the title song of their next album, Two Dogs Fucking, concerned the supposed priggishness of Ottawa's public officials leading directly to the extinction of the human race.
Gymbo Jak, lead singer from 1994-2007, also sang for Toronto based Maximum RNR.
On their most recent album, the Dayglos showed a new-found political awareness. Holy Shiite has song titles such as "America Eats Her Young", "Christina Bin Laden", "Scientology", and "Where's Bin Laden?".
- "Blind Mark", drums – 2011–present
- "The Cretin", guitar and vocals – 1979–present
- "Willy Jak", bass – 2000–present
- "Nev", guitar 1987-1994
- "Wayne Gretzky", guitar, left in 1986
- "Squid", guitar and songwriter 1995-1996
- "Spud", bass and vocals 1979-1999
- "Mike Anus Jak", guitar and songwriter 1987-1994
- "Hung Jak", guitar 1995-1999
- "Gymbo Jak" vocals and songwriter 1994-2007
- "Jesus Bonehead", drums – 1979-2011
- Out of the Womb (1981)
- Feed Us a Fetus (1986)
- Here Today, Guano Tomorrow (1987)
- Two Dogs Fucking - Deux Chiens Fourrent (1991)
- Little Man in the Canoe (1995)
- Corporate Whores (1996)
- Stupid World, Stupid Songs (1998)
- Death Race 2000 (1999)
- Holy Shiite (2004)