Daylight (Matt and Kim song)
|Single by Matt and Kim|
|from the album Grand|
|Released||December 2, 2008|
|Matt and Kim singles chronology|
"Daylight" is a song by indie pop duo Matt and Kim. It was the first single from their second studio album Grand. The duo performed this song on August 26, 2009 on the Jimmy Kimmel Live! show. The song appears in the video game NBA Live 10 and is the only non-hip hop song on the soundtrack. The "Troublemaker" Remix of the song, featuring De La Soul, is included on the soccer video game FIFA 10. The song also appears in The Sims 3: World Adventures, translated into Simlish.
Taking seven months to make, "Daylight" was written and performed by Matt and Kim, which consists of vocalist and keyboardist Matt Johnson and drummer Kim Schifino. Johnson recorded, mixed and produced the track, with additional production and recording from Colby Dix. Joe LaPorta finally mastered the track at The Lodge in New York City. Lyrically, the song deals with longing for home, and includes brief descriptions about life on Grand Street in Brooklyn, New York.
The music video has gained much popularity on YouTube reaching over 12 million views. The music video shows the duo playing the song "Daylight" in crowded, often uncomfortable spaces; in beds, fridges, dumpsters, taxis, etc.
Release and reception
"Daylight" was released in the United States in 2008 by Green Label Sound, and in the United Kingdom by Nettwerk. It was issued as the lead single off Matt and Kim's second studio album Grand, where it is also listed as the opening track. It debuted on the US Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles at number 6 on the week ending June 20, 2009. The next week, the song entered the Hot 100 at its peak position of number 95, with downloads increasing 22% to 22,000 from the previous week. The song's success was partially due to its appearance in an ad for Bacardi.
In other media
- The song was featured on an episode of the NBC comedy Community
- The song was featured on an Australian Mars Bar commercial
- On an episode of 90210
- On an episode of Skins
- The song was featured on a Comcast Xfinity commercial (2012)
- The song was featured on the soundtrack of the EA Sports's FIFA 10
Commercial performance statistics
|Ukraine||Ukraine Rock (FDR)||12||N/A|
|United States||US Billboard Hot 100||95||United States (RIAA)||Gold||0^|
|US Heatseeker Songs (Billboard)||13|
- Ableson, Jon (June 2, 2009). "Interview: Matt and Kim". Alter The Press!. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- Daylight (CD Single). Green Label Sound. 2008. MDGLS002-7.
- Yu, Kathryn (June 30, 2009). "Matt And Kim: Wrong Notes Ring True". NPR. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- Daylight (CD Single). Nettwerk. 2008. 5 037703 23122.
- "Bubbling Under Hot 100 : June 20, 2009". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Matt & Kim Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Matt & Kim. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- Black Eyed Peas Take Top Two Slots On Billboard Hot 100 | Billboard
- "O Music Awards > 2011 O Music Awards: "Matt & Kim Perform "Daylight""". MTV. Viacom. Retrieved April 7, 2014.
- "matt & kim "daylight" live w/ vitaminwater + FADER". August 30, 2012. Retrieved April 7, 2014.
- "Ukrainian Rock Chart". FDR. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Matt & Kim – Daylight". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 3 April 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Matt & Kim Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Heatseeker Songs for Matt & Kim. Retrieved March 26, 2014.