||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
Gomes at the Redskins 2011 training camp.
No. 24 Detroit Lions
|Date of birth:November 17, 1989|
|Place of birth: Hayward, California|
|High school: Union City (CA) Logan|
|NFL Draft: 2011 / Round: 5 / Pick: 146|
|Debuted in 2011 for the Washington Redskins|
|Roster status: Active|
Career NFL statistics as of 2013
DeJon "D.J." Gomes (born November 17, 1989) is an American football safety who plays for the Detroit Lions of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted in the fifth round of the 2011 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins. Gomes played college football for the University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
High school career
Dejon Gomes attended high school at James Logan High School in Union City, California where he started for one year on the varsity football team,after sitting out the previous year with an injury. After graduating in 2007, he did not receive any top scholarship offers, so he decided to attend City College of San Francisco. At San Francisco, Gomes lead the state in interceptions, tackles, and fumble returns. Soon, Gomes transferred to Nebraska.
Once Gomes started his career at Nebraska, he quickly became a starter for two years and lead the team in interceptions and tackles. He was billed as one of the top defensive back prospects for the 2011 NFL Draft by many NFL Draft experts and analysts.
2011 NFL Combine
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 0 in||208 lb||313⁄8 in||95⁄8 in||4.53 s||1.58 s||2.58 s||31 in||9 ft 2 in||13 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Gomes was drafted by the Washington Redskins 146th overall in the 2011 NFL Draft, joining college teammates, Roy Helu, who was drafted earlier in the fourth round, and Niles Paul, who was drafted after him. Throughout the season, he played as the backup to both free safety, Oshiomogho Atogwe, and strong safety, LaRon Landry, splitting the responsibility with Reed Doughty. Gomes made his NFL debut in Week 1 against the New York Giants. He then had his first career start as a free safety in Week 11 against the Dallas Cowboys, where he made 14 tackles. After Landry was put on injured reserve, Gomes became the starting strong safety for the rest of the season. On December 24, 2011, while playing against the Minnesota Vikings, Gomes tackled Adrian Peterson which resulted in Peterson tearing his ACL and MCL. Gomes finished the 2011 season playing 15 games, starting five of them, and recording 35 tackles and two pass breakups.
By the start of the 2012 season, Gomes was made the starting strong safety in place of an injured Brandon Meriweather. In the season opener win against the New Orleans Saints, he recorded his first pass deflection and first interception on Drew Brees. By Week 4 of the 2012 season, he lost the starting strong safety position to Reed Doughty. After Meriweather was placed on injured reserve, Gomes was made the starting strong safety again in the Week 12 win against the Dallas Cowboys, where he recovered a fumble after Josh Wilson stripped the ball and recorded six tackles.
- NFL Combine Profile
- NFL Draft Scout
- Brian Tinsman (March 7, 2012). "Roster Review: Safeties". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- Barry Svrluga (December 15, 2011). "Haslett: DeJon Gomes will start at strong safety for rest of season". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- "Vikings term Adrian Peterson's surgery 'successful'". NationalFootballPost.com. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- Fitzgerald, Gary (March 28, 2012). "In Second Year, Gomes Faces Key Offseason". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- Jones, Mike (September 6, 2012). "DeJon Gomes gets first-team work as Redskins scramble for backup plan at strong safety". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- Jones, Mike (September 9, 2012). "Jim Haslett praises Redskins’ pass coverage vs. Saints". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- Tinsman, Brian (September 10, 2012). "Redskins-Saints Post-Game Notes". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- Whyno, Stephen (November 21, 2012). "DeJon Gomes could get 2nd chance with Brandon Meriweather down". WashingtonTimes.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- Tinsman, Brian (November 23, 2012). "Friday Morning Stats Pack: Redskins-Cowboys". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- Jones, Mike (August 31, 2013). "Redskins cuts: Tony Pashos, DeJon Gomes, Chase Minnifield among them". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- Rogers, Justin (September 1, 2013). "Detroit Lions claim safety DeJon Gomes off waivers". mlive.com. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Alper, Josh (September 1, 2013). "Lions claim DeJon Gomes, cut Rocky McIntosh". NBCSports.com. Retrieved 2013-09-02.
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com • ESPN • Pro-Football-Reference
- Detroit Lions bio
- Nebraska Cornhuskers bio