DeKalb County Public Library
The DeKalb County Public Library (DCPL) is the public library system of DeKalb County, Georgia in the Atlanta metropolitan area. The library system headquarters are in the Decatur Library Decatur.
Its collection includes over 800,000 books; collections of over 400 magazines, academic and scientific journals, and newspapers; and audiovisual materials including videotapes, audiobooks, CDs, and DVDs. Library patrons can also access a variety of databases and online references through the GALILEO (GeorgiA LIbrary LEarning Online) system. The library currently operates 22 branches located throughout the county, with construction of two additional branches planned.
As of 2013, the library served a population of almost 707,000, of whom over 164,000 had library cards. The library system had 227 full-time and 58 part-time employees, and a budget of over $12.4 million.
List of branches
The first public library in the county was opened in 1907, in Lithonia. In 1925 a larger public library was founded in Decatur, the county seat of DeKalb County. In 1952 branches of the Decatur Library were established in Brookhaven and Doraville, and the Decatur Library was renamed the Decatur-DeKalb Library. The previously independent public library in Lithonia also joined the Decatur-DeKalb system, although the Lithonia library maintained a separate library board until 1971. As the DeKalb Regional Library System, the library provided services for neighboring Rockdale County from 1951 to 1989, and also for Newton County from 1953 to 1989; in 1989 the regional library system was disbanded and each of the three counties established its own separate library system.
- "Contact Us." DeKalb County Public Library. Retrieved on January 11, 2012. "DeKalb County Public Library Administrative Offices 215 Sycamore Street Decatur, Georgia 30030"
- "Decatur Library." DeKalb County Public Library. Retrieved on January 11, 2012. "215 Sycamore Street Decatur, GA 30030"
- DeKalb County Public Library homepage: Library Collections
- DeKalb County Public Library homepage: Branches
- DeKalb County Public Library homepage: Statistics
- DeKalb County 2013 Annual Budget, pp. 196-200
- "Decatur Library." DeKalb County Public Library. Accessed October 27, 2008.
- DeKalb County Public Library homepage: History
- DeKalb County Public Library homepage: History of the Lithonia Public Library (via Internet Archive)
- Newton County Public Library homepage: A Short History of the Library