De La Salle High School (New Orleans)
|De La Salle High School|
|5300 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans, Louisiana, 70115
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Patron saint(s)||St. John Baptist De La Salle|
|Principal||Peggy St. John |
|Asst. Principal||Michael Buras/Tony Bonura|
|Color(s)||Maroon and White|
|Accreditation||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Athletic Director||Tony Bonura/ John Collins|
De La Salle High School is a secondary school in New Orleans, Louisiana. Originally an all-boys school, De La Salle became coeducational in 1992. The school's mascot is the "Cavalier," and its school colors are maroon and white. The campus of De La Salle High School is located on St. Charles Avenue in Uptown New Orleans near the Audubon/University District. De La Salle is part of the school system of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New Orleans.
De La Salle was the first high school to open in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina. The school opened its doors to high school students from schools all across the city and surrounding areas.
- Lance Dunbar - Current running back for the Dallas Cowboys
- Kenneth Allen Polite, Jr. - Current U.S. Attorney Eastern District of Louisiana - '93
- Jim Letten - Former U.S. Attorney Eastern District of Louisiana - '71
- Robert M. Groves - Director of the United States Census Bureau - '66
- John Hainkel - Former Louisiana Speaker of the House and Senate President (deceased)
- Karl Hankton - Former NFL wide receiver
- Marquise Hill - Former defensive lineman for the New England Patriots (deceased)
- Chris Horton- current safety for the Washington Redskins
- Tad Jones - Author, Music Historian and founder of Tipitina's
- Stanley Lombardo - Classicist, Translator of Aeneid, Iliad, and Odyssey - '61
- Gregory A. Miller - Member of the Louisiana House of Representatives from St. Charles Parish - c. '80
- Al Montreuil - Former Major League Baseball player
- Paul Pastorek - Former Louisiana state superintendent of education 2007 to 2011; since general counsel to Airbus Group, Inc., in Loudoun County, Virginia
- Dawn Angelique Richard from MTV's hit show Making the Band, Danity Kane
- Thomas John Rodi - Archbishop of Mobile - '67
- Tom Schedler - Former Louisiana State Senator - '67
- Gene Taylor - Former U.S. Congressman for Mississippi - '71
- David Vitter - U.S. Senator from Louisiana - '79
- Frank Wills - Former Major League Baseball Player (deceased)
De La Salle athletic programs compete as a member of the LHSAA. De La Salle has 17 sports teams: 10 boys' teams and 7 girls' teams. De La Salle recently built the Shane and Holley Guidry Batting facility for baseball and softball. This state-of-the-art facility has two batting cages with two Allstar Ace 500 Video Pitching Simulators. The complex also has an area for golf and tennis.
- De La Salle Official Website.
- NOLA.COM Sports Center: De La Salle High School
- NOLA.COM: De La Salle in the New Orleans local news
- Videos about De La Salle High School
- De La Salle High School Photo Gallery
Notes and references
- "De La Salle High School principal fired". Retrieved 2011-06-08.
- SACS-CASI. "SACS-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2009-06-23.[dead link]